Solved How can I restrict the front-end user from editing the queries? (1 Viewer)

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 10:24
@Babycat - You could store those details in a local text file, and check its existence in the login process.
Not terribly secure but if they have logged in before then does it matter?

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Maybe I'm being dense but why can't that login data be stored in a BE table, preferably with the passwords encrypted

Babycat

Local time
Today, 16:24
@Babycat - You could store those details in a local text file, and check its existence in the login process.
Not terribly secure but if they have logged in before then does it matter?
Kind of lazy to handle an extra text file, many thing can be happened with that file which is outside of Access db

Babycat

Local time
Maybe I'm being dense but why can't that login data be stored in a BE table, preferably with the passwords encrypted
Hi Isladogs,

Same FE file is downloaded from server to local (user's) computer everytime user start the application, thus how and where to store these login data?

Babycat

Local time
As I said. why not in the BE
Not so clear what you mean, but the case is user selecting "remember me" on login form for the 1st login, next time they will not need to type username & password again.
This looks impossible if a fresh new FE is downloaded from server...

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Add a Boolean field to store the Remember Me value in the users table in the BE.
When the user first ticks that box, the value is set to True jn the table.

I use the same approach to store user preferences like Don't Show This Help Form again based on a checkbox each user can tick.

Having said all that, its not at all secure if you allow users to bypass the login process.
You may as well have no login process at all

Babycat

Local time
The fresh FE gives no clue to indentify the user opening FE... that is the point, sir

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
I thought you were using the network user login name in which case it would apply.
Either way, you should not be allowing users to bypass the login process

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 05:24
Using "remember me" defeats the purpose of having security. I don't recommend it. If you insist, there are ways other than storing the credentials in a local table.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom