How do I delete embedded Word document? (1 Viewer)

NeilT123

Local time
Today, 13:29
I have a report which has a Word document embedded as an Unbound Object Frame.

I no longer need this in the report, if I delete the Unbound Object Frame from the report does it also delete the Word document?

Thank you

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
With all such questions, the easiest way to find out is to try it for yourself after first making a backup copy

In this case, as it is an unbound object, it will be deleted UNLESS you make a copy of the document first

NeilT123

Local time
If I double click on the object frame a word document called Document in rptSoilResultDF1 opens and I have absolutely no idea where that is saved. rptSoilResultDF1 is the name of the report. I have deleted the object frame and just wanted to make sure that the associated Word document would have also been deleted.

Thank you.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Nor had I till I tried it as I never use unbound object frames.
I clicked on the object in design view, clicked Edit to open it in Word.
Next I clicked Save As ... Browse
For info, creating a new Word doc, it was in the folder:
C:\Users\YourUserName\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCache\Content.Word

Of course, if you created it from a file, it would be wherever that file was

NeilT123

Local time
Thank you Colin. I went to a back up version of my database and opened the word document and it also pointed to the Content.Word folder so I checked and the folder is empty.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
That surprises me. I have hundreds of hidden temporary files (.tmp) in that hidden folder.
Having said that you have already deleted the embedded object.

NeilT123

Local time
Good morning, your comment made me wonder whether I had missed something but I have just checked and that folder is empty, 0 bytes, 0 files and 0 folders.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Here is a screenshot from that hidden folder:
1665741083062.png

You could try adding a new unbound object frame to a test report & then select Create New . . . Word Document
Then look at the folder again.
Delete the frame & repeat.

NeilT123

Local time
So I opened the folder and it was empty, then I went to a back up copy of my database opened the report and the folder stayed empty. I then opened the report in design mode and opened the unbound object and four files appeared. Closed the report and the files disappeared.

So it looks like on my setup the folder only populates when the word document is being edited.

Image 001.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom