How manipulate data export in rows to become in columns (1 Viewer)

lucky245

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 20:08
I have an excel spreadsheet (example attached) which is populated by lab equipment. The key field is the specimen number and specimen type. Currently for every antibiotic there is a row with its result. My output is 3 complete worksheets so a lot of data. I need to create a database with one row per specimen number/type to include whether it is S/R/or I for each type of antibiotic. The example probably makes more sense. but I'm assuming that 65000 rows * 3 sheet can then be reduced to around 18,000 rows.

Any help or pointers appreciated. I do this run every week so spend hours reformatting by hand.

thanks

Attachments

• Excel example.xls
    30 KB · Views: 80

DavidAtWork

Registered User.
Local time
Your current format sheet should represent what you would see in a database table and is correct, your required output sheet can be reproduced from a table using a crosstab query by setting the result as The Value, antobiotic would be your Column Value and specimen no, specimen type and source would be set as Row Values

David

namliam

The Mailman - AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 21:08
I understand what you are trying to do, the question is... SHOULD you do it?

I think that you would be better off "simply" importing the data as is and create a crosstab query to show you the results you want to have. That way if there comes additional data you can simply add it and run again.

Edit: David types faster

lucky245

Registered User.
Local time
You both gave very valid answers and I was just being stupid I couldn't get my result field to diplay the sensitivity but just a number. Might have helped if I had used "First" rather than Sum or count.

Thank you

I always try to make things more complicated than they are.

JHB

Have been here a while
Local time
Today, 21:08
Import the data as they are and run a cross tab query on it.
Attached is a small example, open the database and run the only query in it.
Edit: I see, you have already got answers!

Attachments

• DatabaseCross.accdb
    408 KB · Views: 64

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom