How to Convert/Create an Ms Access form into a Web Page (HTML Form)? (1 Viewer)

Local time
Today, 01:38
Kind of suggesting learning to run before you know how to walk. Better to have some idea of the basic building blocks before building up the stack.
I take full responsibility of my advice. Hands-on learning and project-based learning are widely recommendable.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
To be honest, at least when I was learning programming, classes would only take you so far. You learned by doing and by making mistakes. In fact, that is one definition of experience (with a nod to Ambrose Bierce): Experience is that which allows you to recognize your mistakes when you make them again. Based on that definition, I am HIGHLY experienced.

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 16:38
How much experience do you have building web pages? Building one to work with a database as your first would be like trying to ascend a vertical cliff as your first climb.

It is also easy to build a page that will make your database vulnerable to attacks if you don't know what you are doing.

Local time
That's what frameworks are for, not having to worry too much about widely known vulnerabilities. Just find production-ready components for your frontend, render stuff server side, validate all inputs client side and server side, both, and make sure only authenticated users can perform actions on the database. Do not expose any database info in params or server responses, use environment variables, don't use root as server user. Use strong passwords for all your credentials.

There, and also learn as you go. All apps are different.

Last edited:

nector

Local time
Today, 09:38
But why wasting time figuring out how to make a form be a web compliant, simply host your backend on the web for example via winhost.com and leave your FE alone. You can easily link to the web-based BE via ODBC, however, be warned that going this route means that almost all the calculation must be handled by the BE otherwise your system will be extremely slow. I was a victim of this monster before and so I fully understand what goes on here.

In short you need to use views and stored procedures, in addition to that all forms must either be linked on the fly or if not complex then using views will be okay as well.

But you need to know SQL language in order to accomplish this, if your program is an accounting one, then you need to be a CA (Chartered Accountant) a non-CA will not struggle on the complex financial modelling and reporting.

If you use this route you will have the advantages below:
(1) Anyone you give the FE will access your BE anywhere in the world as long as there is an internet connection.
(2) Real time and faster processing data
(3) Concurrent processing is permitted

amorosik

Local time
Today, 08:38
https://github.com/cedrozor/myrtille

This appears to be of some help in being able to use a native desktop Access application via a web browser
If coupled with an rdp server, even a free one like FreeRdp, or a classic terminal server Microsoft, it should allow you to have a system that can be used remotely simply with a web browser
And therefore from an iPad in New York city, it should be possible to use an Access program that is physically running on a computer in Munich in Germany
Open source too

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
https://github.com/cedrozor/myrtille

This appears to be of some help in being able to use a native desktop Access application via a web browser
If coupled with an rdp server, even a free one like FreeRdp, or a classic terminal server Microsoft, it should allow you to have a system that can be used remotely simply with a web browser
And therefore from an iPad in New York city, it should be possible to use an Access program that is physically running on a computer in Munich in Germany
Open source too

I don't know anything about the "myrtille" product in question, but you are correct that an RDP-based app is one solution for remote use of Access. There IS the problem that you still need to build in some safeguards because if/when your remote session dies at the remote end, you will still have to have something that reacts reasonably when the central-host end has to kill the session. However, if you have something in your form_Close and Form_Unload routines that can undo whatever was going on, you should be able to avoid too many problems with corruption due to bad exits.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom