Solved How to determine the individual record of a continuous form? (1 Viewer)

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 19:24
Unless I am missing something, unfortunately, the resizability (word?) of the image within the button doesn't lend itself to being useful. Plus, making the button transparent makes the image transparent as well. That's why I said AS pretty. You could use an image with a command button but you can't make it AS pretty as using an image.
Hi. I did mention the button will have to be non-transparent to use an image. As for making it "pretty," you can; however, it does take extra work as compared to an Image Control. Maybe, the "resizing" issue is something you could submit to the Access User Voice website, then it won't take any extra work next time. Just a thought...

JMongi

Local time
Yesterday, 22:24
@ theDBguy - There was no confusion in your comments. Nor in my understanding of them (in fact, I already was aware of that limitation).

I was confident I understood the limitations of command buttons as far as displaying images and their inability to be transparent in a useful way for images. That's why I was using an image control in the first place which lead to this thread. The need to use a command button to solve this particular issue lead me to lament the difficulty in using a command button to emulate the look of an image control with a transparent background. Then Genma with good intentions tried to correct my lament by informing that I could use an image with a button to "solve" my problem.

My response was to explain to genma why his suggestion was not practical in accomplishing the same "pretty" look to my form that I was going for.

I hope that's cleared everything up. Thanks for everyone's help!

Edit: I did submit a suggestion to toggle how embedded button images are resized. Also, for others reading this thread. To make a transparent button, do not set the "Transparent" property. That property must be set to "No". However, you can set the "Back Style" property to "Transparent". Then if MS adds the ability to resize an embedded image in conjunction with resizing a command button we will be in business!

Last edited:

MajP

You've got your good things, and you've got mine.
Local time
Maybe I am missing something, but most people size the image to be the desired size and it fills the button. Not sure I get what the difference is. Looks the same as an image IMO.

JMongi

Local time
Maybe I AM missing something. Is this sizing of the image within the Access environment? Or is it in a separate imaging software?

JMongi

Local time
Hmm...most people are apparently more patient than I am. I find that impractical to create a custom sized image in a graphics program and then imbed that for each command button that I want and then hope I don't need to resize the button for some reason in the future.

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 02:24
All the things that make an app user friendly and personalised can take a long while to do.

form design, resizeable forms, button design, images, context sensitive help.

It's Ok if you sell millions or even thousands of copies. Much harder to add the same degree of polish if you only have 4 users.

MajP

Local time
Most people develop to a consistent common template. So fonts, colors, and buttons are similar size, color, etc. throughout the project/s. With Irfanview you can select as many images as you want and resize to a specific size. You an do thousands at once if you wanted. Then save them in a folder. Then resize to a larger or smaller size. You could have a folder for several sizes. Takes a few seconds.

JMongi

Local time
@Genma - I have quite the patience for polish, just not for clunky workarounds.
@MajP - That's interesting and quite useful and would significantly reduce the time needed. I'll have to investigate.

MajP

Local time
Irfanview does a real good job of bulk resize, rename, and convert. Great freeware.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom