Question How to generate barcodes (1 Viewer)

rickyfong

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 17:25
I am newbie to barcode but I need to generate barcode for my invoice with the invoice something likes W12675679. Just want to know how to generate barcodes based on that type of invoice number, and how to store barcodes in ACCESS 2003! Thanks a lot for any ideas!!

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Today, 01:25
I found the best way was to use a barcode font in the text box that displays the barcode. You do not store a barcode, you just store the characters and the font handles the display of the barcode.

rickyfong

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks Uncle Gizmo. However, Uncle Gizmo only gave an idea of how to store it. In fact, I don't know what's barcode font either!! After some wondering in this site, I still don 't have any idea of how to create a barcode based on my invoice number. I got some hints is to involve a ActiveX. But it seems this is a add-in function or component provided by third parties but not parts of VBA!! Any further ideas?? Thanks a lot!!

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
First you need to download a barcode font and install it onto your system. Here is an example of a free barcode font code 39.
http://www.barcodesinc.com/free-barcode-font/

Once it's installed, you need to change the font setting for the texbox on your report, label to match your font.

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
No! Don't use activeX, not unless you have no choice!

rickyfong

Registered User.
Local time
Barcode font seems is font for watching and printing barcode. However, I still don't get any idea of how to create a barcode when a new invoice with invoice such as W1234334 created!!?? Any further ideas? Thanks a lot!!

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
OK, let's take this step by step and see where it goes.

At the moment, in your database, where do you store the invoice number W1234334?

rickyfong

Registered User.
Local time
I stored invoice number in an invoice file which store unique data such as invoice date and invoice total etc, and in a transaction file with all relevant transaction data record! What I want is to create a bar code for my staff to just scan and can get all invoice data for a particular invoice number! This is my basic idea!! Thanks a lot!! My doubt is :

1. how to create barcode based on invoice number
2. how store it or how print it out
3. using which type of scanner to do the scan!?

Thanks a lot!!

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
When you say "invoice file" do you mean a table?

rickyfong

Registered User.
Local time

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Please confirm that transaction file is also a table.

Until I received confirmation, I will assume that it is a table and that it is what it is normally referred to as a "line item table" in relationship to your invoice, therefore it is not relevant to your question at this stage.

Last edited:

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
First you need to download a barcode font and install it onto your system. Here is an example of a free barcode font code 39.
http://www.barcodesinc.com/free-barcode-font/

Once it's installed, you need to change the font setting for the texbox on your report, label to match your font.
Before we can proceed any further, you will need to follow AccessBlaster's instructions and install the barcode font on your PC. Once you have done this report back and we should be able to move you forward with a solution to your problem.

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time

rickyfong

Registered User.
Local time
I have created a new ID in the Accessforums.net, for the above post. WHen I tried to download one of the Zip file in the above post, the system rejected me and explained that I am not have the right to download and access that post!! Is there anyone kind enough to download that Zip file for me!! Thanks a lot!!

rickyfong

Registered User.
Local time
which barcode font is suitable for my case ?? Thanks!!

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
which barcode font is suitable for my case ?? Thanks!!
I suspect any basic one will work, and to be honest I don't think you should worry about it at this stage, you just need to get it working. Download the one suggested and do some experiments. You can hone in on one that suits your particular requirements at a later stage.

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
I have created a new ID in the Accessforums.net, for the above post. WHen I tried to download one of the Zip file in the above post, the system rejected me and explained that I am not have the right to download and access that post!! Is there anyone kind enough to download that Zip file for me!! Thanks a lot!!
I think you should address your problem to that particular forum.

rickyfong

Registered User.
Local time
I have download the code 39 font and which location should I stored and unzipped it so that Access 2003 could easily access those font files?? Thanks!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom