How to group records when they are not the same??? (1 Viewer)

AJordan

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 09:37
(sigh... So i know i messed up lol)

In a complete oversight on my part I have a form where the user can enter data to be added to the master data table that holds programmatic information and the value of each item. In the form I designed the user only fills in 5 fields out of an available 10 fields. In my mind the other fields were not really required for the reports I wanted to generate. As an example the user opens the form and does the following:

1. Selects from a combo box the group # (20, 40, 41, etc)
2. In a text box, the user can reduce the value associated with it…-$5,000 (if 20 has a budget of $10,000, the user can add money to this pot or reduce it in this field)
3. Click add record and move to the next adjustment.
While this works fine, in my query I added back the “group title” so group #20 is equivalent to Group title Supplies. Obviously when I sum on total budget and group by everything I see lines like this:

Group # - Group Title - Budget – Budget Adjustment – Revised Budget
20 – Supplies - $10,000 - - - $10,000
20 - - - ($5,000) – ($5,000)

Is there I can resolve the issue now (after data has already been added without the group title) to show something like this:
20 – Supplies - $10,000 – ($5,000) - $5,000

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
In my view, you are too close to the problem and details to clearly tell us what the issue is in context. Readers will help, but they need some context to understand your needs.

In simple English just as you would tell an 8 year old who knows nothing of you, your business, or database generally.
-what is the "business" that this automation/database/reports is intended to support

De-jargonize these
-master data table
-programmatic information

In my mind the other fields were not really required for the reports I wanted to generate.
-these seem to be related to analysis and requirements definition

There are several KnowledgeKnuggets from BA-Experts that present analysis concepts clearly and humorously for free on youtube.

Good luck.

Ranman256

Local time
you should have a table for groups, tGroups.
put all the groups in
Group, GrpTitle
20, Supplies

then join this table to the data table on Group id field and you will get titles, from tGroups.GroupTitle

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom