How to open an access database only in exclusive mode? (1 Viewer)

prabha_friend

Prabhakaran Karuppaih
Local time
Today, 13:11
For you kind information: I have learned the command line option "\excl" using a shortcut.

But currently I am looking for an option with which the database contain itself. How to do it?

Thanks in advance.

Ranman256

Local time
Today, 03:41
Not sure what 'database contain itself' means.
Does opening with '\excl' not work?

prabha_friend

Prabhakaran Karuppaih
Local time
Not sure what 'database contain itself' means.
Does opening with '\excl' not work?

Hi Ranman. Thanks to your reply. I meant that I don't want to create a shortcut file to just open the database in Exclusive Mode. Instead I want to change some option in the database itself (if it is there) to open in Exclusive Mode. Possible?

Ranman256

Local time
Today, 03:41
I dont think so. It must open with the setting.
Why dont you like shortcuts? It works with a simple dbl-click.

apr pillai

AWF VIP
Local time
If you are using Access2007, open your database. Click Office Button and select Access Options. Select Advanced Option and look for Advanced Option Group. Here you will find two options Shared & Exclusive. Select Exlusive Radio Button and click OK to save the change.

Close the database and open it, it will be in exclusive mode.

If your database is Access2003 or earlier version then look for this option in Tools Menu.

prabha_friend

Prabhakaran Karuppaih
Local time
Mr.Pillai. It is not Database specific. I Don't want to open all the database in Exclusive Mode by default in my system but the one which I am currently building. Is there a specific way other than creating shortcuts and disturbing to all?

Kindly conclude. Thank you.

HiTechCoach

Local time
Today, 02:41
For you kind information: I have learned the command line option "\excl" using a shortcut.

But currently I am looking for an option with which the database contain itself. How to do it?

Thanks in advance.

There is not a way to do what you are asking for a single database.

Curious.I am not sure why you would ever need to open a specific database in exclusive mode very time. I can't figure out why you would not use a shortcut to do it only when needed.

If you would explain what you are needing to do maybe we can hep you find a solution. There may be a better way.

prabha_friend

Prabhakaran Karuppaih
Local time
Curious.I am not sure why you would ever need to open a specific database in exclusive mode very time. I can't figure out why you would not use a shortcut to do it only when needed.
That database doesn't have the need to be opened by multiple users at a time (No Concurrency needed). I know I can open the database exclusively through a shortcut but the problem is I have to distribute it to all the users who will not open the database when some other person has opened it already.

If you would explain what you are needing to do maybe we can hep you find a solution. There may be a better way.
Simple. Need to open a database always in exclusive mode.

HiTechCoach

Local time
Today, 02:41
That database doesn't have the need to be opened by multiple users at a time (No Concurrency needed). I know I can open the database exclusively through a shortcut but the problem is I have to distribute it to all the users who will not open the database when some other person has opened it already.

Simple. Need to open a database always in exclusive mode.

You never explained why exclusive mode is reacquired.

prabha_friend

Prabhakaran Karuppaih
Local time
You never explained why exclusive mode is reacquired.
Because the tool I am building out of an access database generally imports data. So to avoid the redundancy on concurrency, I opted for an exclusive mode. (All users import the same data. its not needed again and again. its just a consolidation tool)

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Today, 15:41
just create a table and one field in it (IsDBOpen boolean), on some part of your program test if this field is set. if set, then somebody is using the db and the program quits, if not set have another code to update (set) this field signalling that this db is in use.

prabha_friend

Prabhakaran Karuppaih
Local time
Has to open through a shortcut file only (by using the excl argument). Cannot make it open by itself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom