How would you go about it? (1 Viewer)

David Tro

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 02:07
Hello fellow members,
I am currently undertaking an IT distance learning course as a mature student and was wondering if anyone could be of some help.
My tutor has gave their observations of my work so far and as my text books are pretty vague on the matter I was hoping that someone may help me along here, if they could.
. The main points brought up were and I quote from the reply I got were -{ On the order form, its possible to change the customer ID in the subform, so the subform can have a different name from the main form.
When you click on the payment button an error is shown in the order ID field and nothing appears in the other fields.
When you create a new order, the unit price doesn't appear and there is no total.
If you click on the search video button, choose a video then click on the hire video button, it isn't added to the order. The hire video form then stays open in the background and has to be closed manually when you exit.
There are no close form buttons or exit application buttons other than on the main form, so you have to close several forms before you can exit.
Your payments table doesn't have a primary key.
Although you have 2 reports in your database, there doesn't seem to be any way to access these through the main form.}
Can anyone help? I can zip the db and send it on to you if required so that anyone could add/amend anything to it if they would find that more helpful.
Thanks anyway
David Tro

Autoeng

Why me?
Local time
Yesterday, 21:07
David:

The instructor has pointed out flaws with your db design that can be addressed one at a time. I think that with your large posting people are shying away because they don't really know what you are looking for.

I'll address what I can one at a time.

You need to link the Customer ID on the subform to it's related field on the main form so that they always match. See "All of my records show up in my subform — they don't change when I move from record to record in the main form." in Access help for an explaination.

There is some error in the code for the Payment button. As I don't know it's function I can't really help with this one. Post some specifics as to what is supposed to happen when you click the payment button and what actually does happen.

Same for the new order observation. I assume that you enter items but the price of the items is not coming through.

For the Hire Video issue you are going to have to add some code to the On Click event of the Hire Video button that adds the video to the order and then some code to close the Hire Video form.

Simply add Close Form and Exit Application buttons to all of your forms to meet the criteria of the next one. Be sure that you know what needs to happen when this happens. What if the form is only half way filled out? Should the semi-filled form be saved or scrapped? This will have to be coded.

Don't know what fields are in your Payments table so I can't really suggest one to make a Primary key. It could and should be a field that relates directly to other tables.

You need to create buttons to run the reports in your db. If the reports are based from static data then the button needs nothing else. If it is based on variable data (show me all Hired Videos from Jan. 1 - Jan 31 or any combo of dates that I choose) then you will have to place the call for the variable data as criteria in the query that supplies the info to the report, or you can create a form that the query looks at for the data.

I don't know your capabilities so I left these answers very open ended assuming you can find info on how to do each. If, however, you need step by step you will have to be more specific (button names, form names, table field names, query names, ect.. And I would put only one or two related questions per post.

Autoeng

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom