Solved HTML and Variables (1 Viewer)

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 15:58
I don't know how @Minty does it, but I actually have a table showing the substitution text, with another column showing how to obtain the substitution. So [phonenumber] will know it needs to look up the phone number field from the contact record. That way you can add new variables without needing to recode each time.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Today, 15:58
I haven't got it working but I did get the isolation of the issue which is that the copy from the table to the HTMBody is not working out. So I know that I need to to find a different way. I don't know about placeholders and Replace() functions and I will investigate that. If you have any example links, that would be great but otherwise Google is my friend. I am a believer that I learn a lot more by searching to resolve issues so I really only post here if I think it should be working and isn't or I really cannot find out how to take the next step. As it often turns out I just don't know how to frame the question properly - the answer is out there, I am just not asking correctly.

vblEmailID is used to locate the correct record - it is the autonumber. I just hard code it - in this instance vblEMailId is 6 which is the right record in the table for this email.
Yes, but the point I am tryng to get across is EmailID merely locates the record, then you need to take the field that holds the data, let's call it EmailBody and assign that to a variable, then replace the place markers with your variables, then assign to the HTML body.?

Dumferling

Local time
Today, 16:58
Yes, correct - I just need to work on the replace placemarkers bit.

Dumferling

Local time
Today, 16:58
I don't know how @Minty does it, but I actually have a table showing the substitution text, with another column showing how to obtain the substitution. So [phonenumber] will know it needs to look up the phone number field from the contact record. That way you can add new variables without needing to recode each time.
Slick! I might do this just because it is better than a recode.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom