I don't even know how to ask this question... (1 Viewer)

Pick9811

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 19:39
Hello again all,

I'm sure there's a proper way to phrase this question, but I really don't know how to ask without explaining my goal and the situation... so here goes:

I am building an Access DB and it (when complete) will manage all the personnel and administrative functions for my organization. One part of that is keeping tracking of people and all their information. So I have a table that maintains First Name, Last Name, Date of Birth, phone number, e-mail, etc, etc. A form that I have linked to this table is called "Member File" and I use this for easy access to the information on the individual, or to enter new people in. The table has about 110 fields, and keeps track of almost everything dealing with the individual. Since the "Member file" form is used to enter all this information in, I used the "Tabbed Controls" to separate the form into 8 main categories of information.

In some cases people need to be told where to improve... one of the tabs is intended to maintain this "negative" information. I would like there to be a list box included in this tab that lists all such information on this individual.

So, my problem is two-fold.

-First, I think there should probably be another table that includes all this negative information, then make one of the fields in the table the primary key in the member table, thus identifying the recipient. In this tab of the "Member File" form, I want only the negative information displayed to belong to the person who's record is currently displayed. I assume this is going to require the list box to be populated from a query? Does anyone have any better ideas on how to accomplish this? Also on this tab will be a button to add a piece of such information, which will open a form allowing the user to input this information intended to track negative things (that part I think I can do).

-Second, goes to the "telling them where to improve" idea. I would like for Access to be able to generate a word document that's basically a letter, based on the problem. It should have their name at the top and automatically input text from the "offense" that a user enters into the form. This I have absolutely no idea how to accomplish... :banghead: Any ideas are welcome.

Thanks again!
Pick

KenHigg

Local time
Today, 13:39
a. Looks like you are on the right track with the one person table record to many corrective actions table records

b. yes access will do a report like you suggest

Pick9811

Registered User.
Local time
b. yes access will do a report like you suggest

So, Access will output a report to a Word document? Can access maintain these Word documents as well?

KenHigg

Local time
Hum...

a. I think the most common set up is to create a word document that fetches info from the database on demand kind of thing

fyi - Access does pretty good with it's own reporting feature

Pick9811

Registered User.
Local time
I've seen some impressive Access reports, but these letters will need to be on a Letterhead. Not to mention being able to save copies that can be edited or used later will also be useful.
I appreciate the help!
Pick

KenHigg

Local time
I see. Another option may be to print the access report to pdf and save it. You can always print the access report or pdf on letter head just like you would with word, unless you have a word template with letterhead....

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom