I want my report to automatically calculate number of workdays in a month based off drop down choices (1 Viewer)

Db-why-not

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 16:27
I have some dropdown buttons where you can select a month and year and then it opens up a report for that month and year. In the report I want it to automatically calculate the number of workdays (weekdays) in that month that was selected.

I know in excel there is the EOMonth formula you can use. I'm not sure how to do this in access.

I'm not sure where to begin with this. Should i create a query that takes the month and year from the dropdown button, then create another field in my query that calculates the number of workdays. Or do I need to save the data that is selected from the dropdown boxes into a table?

I'm not sure what the formula would be to calculate the number of workdays automatically in each month either.

plog

Banishment Pending
Local time
EOMonth() in excel just generates the last date in a month, not the number of workdays. The first thing you need to do is define "workdays". Is it just every Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday & Friday? Or does it also exclude holidays that fall on those days?

How many workdays are in this month? 22 or 23?

Db-why-not

Registered User.
Local time
EOMonth() in excel just generates the last date in a month, not the number of workdays. The first thing you need to do is define "workdays". Is it just every Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday & Friday? Or does it also exclude holidays that fall on those days?

How many workdays are in this month? 22 or 23?
Workdays would include holidays. Mon -Friday would be workdays. December has 23 workdays.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Today, 22:27
You could try searching for "Calculate workdays" here on this site?

plog

Banishment Pending
Local time
I would build a custom function in a module to calculate work days. You would pass it either a date or the year and month. It would then determine the total number of days in the month and subtract the number of Saturdays and Sundays in there.

This is going to require you use built-in Date functions listed here:

As Gasman has said, you should search this forum because this is a problem that's been addressd many times. You might be able to find a thread with code to accomplish exactly what you want.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
I would build a custom function in a module to calculate work days. You would pass it either a date or the year and month. It would then determine the total number of days in the month and subtract the number of Saturdays and Sundays in there.

This is going to require you use built-in Date functions listed here:

As Gasman has said, you should search this forum because this is a problem that's been addressd many times. You might be able to find a thread with code to accomplish exactly what you want.
And here is one such thread
https://www.access-programmers.co.uk/forums/threads/access-help.307938/#post-1735601

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
this is a small function I've used in the past for calculating the number of weekdays in any month specified by a date

Code:
Function weekdaysInMonth(ByVal dt As Date) As Integer
Dim i As Long

For i = dt - Day(dt) + 1 To DateAdd("m", 1, dt) - Day(dt) 'first day of month to last day of month

weekdaysInMonth = weekdaysInMonth - (Weekday(i, vbMonday) < 6)

Next i

End Function

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Tomorrow, 05:27
same function:

Code:
Public Function numWorkDays(ByVal Month As Integer, ByVal Year As Long) As Integer
    Dim i As Integer
    Dim last As Integer
    Dim total_days As Integer
    last = Day(DateSerial(Year, Month + 1, 0))
    total_days = last
    For i = 1 To last
        total_days = total_days + (InStr("sat/sun", Format$(DateSerial(Year, Month, i), "ddd")) > 0)
    Next
    numWorkDays = total_days
End Function

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom