I'll be busy for a while (1 Viewer)

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 11:41
Something happened to my system that I cannot explain. I should have rebooted but didn't, and it wiped a bunch of files while trying to recover from a browser situation that basically ate my desktop. It forced me to reset my PC. (As in "Reinstall Windows" type of reset.) Talk about a bummer. Fortunately it allowed me to retain files, but my installed programs have gone into vapor. I'll have to work on regenerating my browser links. Thought I had a copy of the links from a backup, but can't find that at the moment.

I have a list of what apps were removed, and perhaps it was time for me to clean up anyway. Fortunately I had the data I needed to do a rapid reconnect of my mail and I have installation disks for most of what else was there. My browser and internet security packages are back up so I thought I might drop by and grouse a bit before moving on. Probably will take me a while to reload the games I wanted to keep.

I'm going to have to allow Windows to do updates and that won't be pretty. So while my system is going through its trials and tribulations, I may be sluggish to respond. Don't worry, though. I'm already back far enough to be able to get here, so nothing totally fatal has happened yet. I've already confirmed that most of my directories are intact. The Windows Reset has that option, at least. (Keep user files.) So my novels and other data files are probably OK too. I'll spot check them as I go.

Before anyone asks, I have no idea what hit me, but my internet security package WAS active at the time and didn't do anything unusual. I don't think I caught something viral. Y'all have a great evening or whatever. I'm about to let Windows work its will on my system.

KitaYama

Local time
Tomorrow, 01:41
I'll have to work on regenerating my browser links. Thought I had a copy of the links from a backup....
So my novels and other data files are probably OK too
This is a typical disaster for anyone working local.
Be smart. Work on cloud. You will never miss a single file. You don't even need to backup your files.

amorosik

Local time
Today, 18:41
Yes, others will take care of losing your files 🤣

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I don't trust clouds. I had a selective backup on a reasonably large thumb drive so I have recovered a few files that had been on the desktop but got eaten. My browser links are back now. A few games will have to be loaded via disk, but I keep game disks. Looks like the Steam games may need reloading but the save-game files appear intact (so far). I still don't understand exactly what happened. I only am sure that whatever it was, I picked the wrong option. Should have just rebooted to clear memory and reload the O/S.

Just jumped back in to verify the restored bookmarks. More cleaning to do. See y'all later!

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
Today, 12:41
Looks like you are making good progress. Wish you the best in rehabilitating your computer.
I don't trust clouds.
Agree with you. The potential, while low, that a cloud service that you have become dependent-on goes belly-up without warning is always there. Additionally, there have been numerous occasions where your information on the cloud services gets hacked, which makes using and depending on a cloud service is a security risk, even-though that probability may be low.

More cleaning to do
Using bleach as H. Clinton did? Seems her servers are now squeaky clean, assuming that they are still in service.

KitaYama

Local time
that a cloud service that you have become dependent-on goes belly-up without warning is always there
What does it mean?

there have been numerous occasions where your information on the cloud services gets hacked
May I read about this?

You like it or not, future is cloud. You may want to get used to it.

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
What does it mean?

May I read about this?

You like it or not, future is cloud. You may want to get used to it.
Sorry, please do your own research. I'm not going to perpetually respond to endless questions for ever more documentation. You yourself make unsubstantiated statements, that can be accepted as anecdotal evidence without playing the documentation question game. Furthermore your "questions" create a distraction to this thread. You are entitled to your opinions.

Last edited:

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Good luck, Doc -a very unfortunate situation.

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 09:41
1668702495898.png

KitaYama

Local time
Sorry, please do your own research. I'm not going to perpetually respond to endless questions for ever more documentation. You yourself make unsubstantiated statements, that can be accepted as anecdotal evidence without playing the documentation question game. Furthermore your "questions" create a distraction to this thread. You are entitled to your opinions.
Ok seems that you've had a bad day.
But let me tell you something my friend. It's not polite to criticize someone's comment and not even answer a question. (At least here).
Maybe that's not a big deal where you are.

And yes you are correct. I'm entitled to my opinion. As you are.
I'll be waiting for the next five years to see if you still believe what you believe now.

Case closed.

Last edited:

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I've reached a stable situation. My internet protection and browser are back as they should be. My personal project files seem to be intact. I only need to run a Windows Update cycle because of the build-version that gets loaded in a Windows Reset. Everything else is up to date. As to my games, I'll just remember to refresh each game when I decide I want to play it.

To be honest, it is not the first time I have ever had this kind of a disaster. When I switched to SSD for my system disk because my HDD had suffered a major failure, I had to revert to backups (which I had) and rebuild... then do it again when my SSD died during its warranty period. So I've become familiar (way more than I wanted to ever be) with rebuilding a system after a failure.

Still haven't figured out what happened because the System Reset destroyed evidence. On the other hand, it would have had the effect of getting rid of a LOT of garbage. Oh, well, even a pack rat has to sometimes let something go.

tmyers

Local time
I feel this. My home PC has bad hardware that I have yet to isolate to figure out what is bad. I have narrowed it down to either bad RAM or bad RAM slots on the board itself. My poor computer blue screens constantly with an ever changing error code (which is why I am having trouble fixing it) and sometimes it crashes so hard that even though applications and such are installed, I have to reinstall them so Windows learns where they are again and trying to tell Windows where they are rarely works without going through that process.

I threw in the towel about a month ago and did sweeping reformats on my 6 drives and did a fresh install of Windows hoping that would fix it before I narrowed it down to a hardware problem. I can't wait until I can build a new computer and not deal with this anymore.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I had problems like that some time ago. For me it was neither bad RAM nor bad slots, but just being too blasted awkward to properly seat the RAM sticks. The form-factor for what I use is kind of thin and I have fat fingers trying to get into a tight space. Eventually I managed but it took me three or four nights of working on it. And the worst part is that it IS possible to get the RAM sticks close enough into the slots that it looks like it will work... and it does, for a while. But then one good sneeze or jostle the desk on which the machine sits or pass gas in the wrong direction and the system crashes. Once I found a way to approach the problem by turning the chassis on its side and approach from a particular angle, "click click" and I was good to go. If you don't get positive closure on the end latches, no guarantees! But if you DO then all is right with the world.

tmyers

Local time
I had problems like that some time ago. For me it was neither bad RAM nor bad slots, but just being too blasted awkward to properly seat the RAM sticks. The form-factor for what I use is kind of thin and I have fat fingers trying to get into a tight space. Eventually I managed but it took me three or four nights of working on it. And the worst part is that it IS possible to get the RAM sticks close enough into the slots that it looks like it will work... and it does, for a while. But then one good sneeze or jostle the desk on which the machine sits or pass gas in the wrong direction and the system crashes. Once I found a way to approach the problem by turning the chassis on its side and approach from a particular angle, "click click" and I was good to go. If you don't get positive closure on the end latches, no guarantees! But if you DO then all is right with the world.
I had that problem with the first computer I built. Since then I only ever by full size towers and eATX boards so I have ALL the room to work in. When I get to rebuild it, I want to use Thermaltakes The Tower 900 case, which is absolutely MASSIVE.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom