Import Excel Files (1 Viewer)

abenitez77

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 19:58
I am looping thru and linking excel files. Sometimes there is data with the top row having title names. The problem is that when the column names are like "date" and "quatity" then when it links in what shows in the cell is "#Num!". How can I get around this so I see "date" and the other field names.? I don't want to set to true for the headers arguement because I want the columns to have the F1,F2,F3 etc...

Code:
Set wkb = objXL.Workbooks.Open(strFileName)
   ShtCount = wkb.Sheets.count
   i = 1
   x = 1

For Each wks In wkb.Worksheets
        ' Link each sheet of the entire Spreadsheet file -----------------------
        'DoCmd.TransferSpreadsheet acLink, , _
        '      shortFilename & "_~" & wks.Name, strFileName, False, wks.Name & "$"

'Progress Bar :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
        RetVal = SysCmd(acSysCmdInitMeter, "Linking FILE: " & PathFilename & " - SHEET: " & Trim(str(x)) & " of " & Trim(str(ShtCount)), ShtCount)
        'Update the progress meter.
        RetVal = SysCmd(acSysCmdUpdateMeter, i)

'TabName = wks.Name
        DoCmd.TransferSpreadsheet acLink, , _
              "TmpLinkXLS", strFileName, False, wks.Name & "$"

' Get the list of field names
        'Set tdf = db.TableDefs("[" & shortFilename & "_~" & wks.Name & "]")
        Set tdf = db.TableDefs("TmpLinkXLS")

' ---- Pause 1 second ------
        Const cTIME = 1000 'in MilliSeconds
        Call sSleep(cTIME)

myfields = ""
        For Each fld In tdf.Fields
            myfields = myfields & "[" & fld.Name & "],"
        Next
        'myfields = Mid(myfields, 1, Len(myfields) - 1)
        i = i + 1
        RetVal = SysCmd(acSysCmdInitMeter, "Inserting FILE: " & PathFilename & " - SHEET: " & Trim(str(x)) & " of " & Trim(str(ShtCount)), ShtCount)

' Insert the data from the sheet into the local XLSData Table --------------------------
        'strsql = "Insert Into XLSData(" & myfields & "Fullimagepath,TabName" & ") Select " & myfields & Chr(34) & strFileName & Chr(34) & " as Fullimagepath, " & wks.Name & " as TabName From [" & shortFilename & "_~" & wks.Name & "] "
        strsql = "Insert Into XLSData(" & myfields & "Fullimagepath,TabName" & ") " & _
                    " Select " & myfields & Chr(34) & strFileName & Chr(34) & " as Fullimagepath, " & Chr(34) & wks.Name & Chr(34) & " as TabName " & _
                    " From TmpLinkXLS As x1 " & _
                    " Where Len(Trim(x1.F1)) > 0 OR Len(Trim(x1.F2)) > 0 OR Len(Trim(x1.F3)) > 0 OR Len(Trim(x1.F4)) > 0 OR Len(Trim(x1.F5)) > 0 OR Len(Trim(x1.F6)) > 0 OR Len(Trim(x1.F7)) > 0 OR Len(Trim(x1.F8)) > 0 OR Len(Trim(x1.F8)) > 0 "
        CurrentDb.Execute strsql, dbFailOnError

' ---- Pause 1 second ------
        'Const cTIME = 1000 'in MilliSeconds
        Call sSleep(cTIME)

i = i + 1
        RetVal = SysCmd(acSysCmdInitMeter, "Dropping TmpLinkXLS", ShtCount)

If TableExists("TmpLinkXLS") Then
            CurrentDb.Execute "Drop Table TmpLinkXLS", dbFailOnError
        End If

Set tdf = Nothing

RetVal = SysCmd(acSysCmdInitMeter, " ", 0)
        RetVal = SysCmd(acSysCmdRemoveMeter)

i = 1
        x = x + 1

'DoCmd.TransferSpreadsheet acImport, acSpreadsheetTypeExcel9, _
        '      wks.Name, strFileName, True, wks.Name & "$"
   Next

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 23:58
perhaps use a query rather than transferspreadsheet - modify this as a query - start with something like this

Code:
[COLOR=#1f497d][COLOR=black]SELECT *[/COLOR][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#1f497d][COLOR=black]FROM [[COLOR=red]mysheetname[/COLOR]$[COLOR=red]A:T[/COLOR]] IN ‘[COLOR=red]C:\myfolder\myworkbook.xlsx[/COLOR]’[[COLOR=darkorange]Excel 12.0 Xml; HDR=YES; IMEX=1; ACCDB=YES;[/COLOR]][/COLOR][/COLOR]
you'll need to change the bits in red to whatever the value of wks.Name & "$" is - remove the columns if not required and change the file location, but I recommend using them in case the spreadsheet bloats with lots of empty columns. The connection string in orange depends on your excel version - it will be different for .xls.

then go into sql and add the additional code
below - it is not always necessary but I have found it prevents some errors
Code:
[COLOR=#1f497d]
[COLOR=#1f497d][COLOR=red]SELECT * FROM[/COLOR][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#1f497d][COLOR=black][COLOR=red]([/COLOR]SELECT *[/COLOR][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#1f497d][COLOR=black]FROM [mysheetname$A:T] IN ‘C:\myfolder\myworkbook.xlsx’[Excel 12.0 Xml; HDR=YES; IMEX=1; ACCDB=YES;][/COLOR][COLOR=red]) xl[/COLOR][/COLOR]
[/COLOR]
now you can return to the querygrid and change to an append/update/whatever query.

So now you have the full sql, you can transfer back to VBA and substitute table, field and file names as you have for your insert query

Benefits are you are not creating temporary objects like linked tables and the query should still work even if the excel file is open. And of course if you have any data manipulation to do it can be done in the same step.

missed a bit about what you wanted - basically to skip the first row so try

FROM [mysheetname$A2:T2]

and in the connections change HDR from true to false.

Last edited:

abenitez77

Registered User.
Local time
Sorry for late response. I got busy on another project. I tried this below and it is leaving out the first row which has the field names. I want the field names to be part of the data. They are being cut off and I don't see it.

strsql = "SELECT * Into TmpLinkXLS FROM " & _
"(SELECT * " & _
"FROM [" & wks.Name & "$A:Z] IN '" & strFileName & "'[Excel 12.0 Xml; HDR=NO; IMEX=1; ACCDB=YES;]) xl "

DoCmd.RunSQL strsql

abenitez77

Registered User.
Local time
nevermind...i reran it and it's fine. Only thing now is that it prompts me to create the table..or insert into the table. How can i remove the prompts?

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
perhaps use currentdb.execute rather than docmd.runsql

abenitez77

Registered User.
Local time
Found it...setwarnings false. Code is running, but the speed is not anything better with the query instead of linking the excel file.

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
but the speed is not anything better with the query instead of linking the excel file
I wasn't suggesting it would be faster, I was addressing the issue of you wanting to bring the headers through, and the #num problem

abenitez77

Registered User.
Local time
Sorry, I did not want to come across that way. I do appreciate your help. thanks, i did learn a different way of doing the same thing.

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I wasn't offended! One of the benefits of using the sql method is you can bring in multiple ranges in the same 'table' e.g. cols A,B, E,F, X,Y, Z which cannot be done by transferspreadsheet or linking

abenitez77

Registered User.
Local time
Now I'm having formatting issues. The date fields are coming up as integers and a column that has long numeric values are coming up as scientific values. How can i get them to insert into ms access table with the values formatted correctly?

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
importing from excel is a PITA. I've found the only surefire way is to ensure everything is text.

You can try changing the IMEX value to 2 in the connection string - but will probably find it creates problems elsewhere.

so in excel, ensure any large number has a single quote in front of it and dates are formatted as text using the text function

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom