import word document as report template (1 Viewer)

Leo_Polla_Psemata

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 16:39
Hi, can we import a word document in access and use it as report ?

There is a business word document which we fill with data.
The data is already stored in my database.
Instead of copy paste manually, could we import the .doc n access?

Document is mixed English and Chinese.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Hi. Maybe, but have you considered using Word Mail Merge instead? Just curious...

Leo_Polla_Psemata

Registered User.
Local time
Yes I have, the problem with mail merge is that i don't want to send via email to a recipient list. I must create it and print it.

I made a mail merge but when i saved it as "save as", still was refreshing data from the access

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Today, 23:39
Yes I have, the problem with mail merge is that i don't want to send via email to a recipient list. I must create it and print it.

I made a mail merge but when i saved it as "save as", still was refreshing data from the access

Mailmerge can do that?, in fact I have used Mailmerge mainly for printing and hardly ever for emails.:confused:

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time

Hi. I am no expert on Word Mail Merge, but I think if you use a Word template, then the resulting Word docs/pages, shoudn't/wouldn't stay connected with Access. Just a guess...

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 23:39
Realistically, you can't import a Word document into Access as a report template as the docx file file format isn't importable. You could save a screenshot of the Word doc as an image, import that into an Access report then overlay controls onto the report to match up with the image. If you want to go down that route, fine but it will be a lot of work

Instead consider using Albert Kallal's super easy mail merge.
All the work is done in Access then the data is exported to a Word template

The code is available in many places including http://www.kallal.ca/msaccess/msaccess.html.
Don't be put off by the 'primitive website. The code is indeed 'super easy' to use

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 19:39
I don't use mail merge. I use OLE automation. This is a rudimentary example that uses hard coded fields. The sample explains how to expand the concept by making cross reference tables that connect document.field with query.field so you can more easily automate the field filling. The production version of this application supports thousands of word documents by using the mapping technique. It is all under the user's control. As long as no new field needs to be added to a table, the user just maps the new document to existing fields and saves the mapping. Usually only a couple of people in the group are authorized (and trained) to create new documents. Most users just run existing documents.

There is also a form tool that pulls bookmarks from all word files in a folder to get you started with the mapping process.

Attachments

• SampleWordAutomation180206WithLetters.zip
    446.9 KB · Views: 258

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom