Importing Records (1 Viewer)

jaytheguru

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 12:03
Dear all, I have a question regarding record importing in access 2003. I have two tables, 50,000 records on table 1 and 65,000 records in table 2 respectively.

All I want to do is to import all the records from table 2 into table 1. Hence creating only one table. Currently I am copying and pasting records from table2 into table1. As you might have figured out by now it is a pain taking process as there are alot of records to deal with.

I have tried using unmatched query option after creating table3. I thought I'll import records from table1 and 2 into one table3 but that didnt work either.

Do you have any idea how can I import records from one table to another?

The Table 1and2 both have same field names (just a thought to mention this).

Any suggestions / solutions will be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Rabbie

Super Moderator
Local time
Why not use an Append query to select the data from Table2 and add it to Table1. See Access help if you need more info.

Colin@Toyota

What's an Access?
Local time
Today, 07:03
You should be able to use an update query...

jaytheguru

Registered User.
Local time
Why not use an Append query to select the data from Table2 and add it to Table1. See Access help if you need more info.

Just tried that and it didnt work. It asks me the which table to append to and I selected table 1 after selecting the record fields from table2. When I ran it noithing happend.

Rabbie

Super Moderator
Local time
Did you save and close the query. Then re-open it and it should display a warning message and update your data.

jaytheguru

Registered User.
Local time
You should be able to use an update query...

Update query updates the records in the fields but before doing that it asks me what to update it to. If i enter "test" it will update every record with the record name "test"! which I dont want to do. I think I dont know how to do it. Would it be possible for you to tell me how to use it.

Many Thanks

Regards

Rabbie

Super Moderator
Local time
If it still doesn't work post the SQL of your query so we can look at it. I often use similar queries to move data to archive tables.

jaytheguru

Registered User.
Local time
Did you save and close the query. Then re-open it and it should display a warning message and update your data.

Yep did that! but when it ran it says a warning message I pressed Yes and then nothing happend.

Let me give you example what it holds [This is solely example and does not reflect my real records but shows the pattern]

Table1
------
Fields - Class - Group - Alle - Alle Frequency
Record- A -- B -- Low -- Low
B -- B -- Med -- High
Table2
------
Fields - Class - Group - Alle - Alle Frequency
Record- D -- F -- Med -- Low
E -- G -- High -- High

========================

Now when i saved and ran the append query, it showed me the warning message but it didnt put the records from table 2 into table 1.

hope this explains bit more clearly.

Rabbie

Super Moderator
Local time
Please see post #7 and post the SQL of your query.

jaytheguru

Registered User.
Local time
If it still doesn't work post the SQL of your query so we can look at it. I often use similar queries to move data to archive tables.

Here i just created a sample (example table) just to show.

INSERT INTO Table1 ( class, [group], alle )
SELECT Table2.class, Table2.group, Table2.alle
FROM Table2;

jaytheguru

Registered User.
Local time
Please see post #7 and post the SQL of your query.

haha I think we are chating like msn over this forum but the forum gets it updated bit late. Sorry for the delay I was making a sample db and then did the same query to show here.

Rabbie

Super Moderator
Local time
Here i just created a sample (example table) just to show.

INSERT INTO Table1 ( class, [group], alle )
SELECT Table2.class, Table2.group, Table2.alle
FROM Table2;

I have checked your SQL and it looks correct (very similar to my working SQL). So I would advise you to check the actual SQL of your real query and make sure it has the same layout.

jaytheguru

Registered User.
Local time
I have checked your SQL and it looks correct (very similar to my working SQL). So I would advise you to check the actual SQL of your real query and make sure it has the same layout.

Yepeeee!!! It worked. I am not sure why it was doing this but it is now worked. I closed the db and reopened it and now it is showing the correct records in one table.

Many Thanks for your help!

Regards

Rabbie

Super Moderator
Local time
Yepeeee!!! It worked. I am not sure why it was doing this but it is now worked. I closed the db and reopened it and now it is showing the correct records in one table.

Many Thanks for your help!

Regards
Happy to help

jaytheguru

Registered User.
Local time
:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d :d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d :d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d :d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d :d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d :d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d :d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d :d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d :d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d :d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d :d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d

This thread can be closed now as the issue has been resolved. If it is not going to be closed then spammers will spam it just like (example above).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom