Importing Table data - exclude old data (2 Viewers)

uglydork

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 01:54
I need to start importing data from another database table to my table. They are the same except I have added some extra columns for information agents will be entering.

I need to import this table to my table twice a week becuase it will contain new customers and changed information.

1. Since I added some extra columns to my table, if I import the other, it will overwrite my new columns and erase them. How do I stop this? I have been creating a fake table name and inporting to it and then pasting the information I need leaving my columns intact.

2. I have 3 fields that if they contain information, I do not want date to import from the old table.
If my new table contains either phone number,date or completion comment, I do not want the old table to import that customer. Is this possible?

Thank you to anyone who helps.

vbaInet

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 09:54
I think the approach you are referring to is Replicating a database. Try a quick search on the forum or google.

dcb

Normally Lost
Local time
Today, 10:54
PS:
Point 2
You can exclude, as described, using a where clause as in any select statement

uglydork

Registered User.
Local time
Is this an append query? I am not sure where to add this information.

dcb

Normally Lost
Local time
Create a normal select query as you would in designer including only the fields you want, and criteria to meet point 2
Then turn it into a append query

uglydork

Registered User.
Local time
I have never programmed. This is above my basic database skills. Thank you for the information.

uglydork

Registered User.
Local time
If any of these items has an entry on a form, I do not want the new table to add that customer. Does this make sense?

dcb

Normally Lost
Local time
How big is your db?
Can you post it?

Or at least you table structure so I can help you

uglydork

Registered User.
Local time
If someone enters a completion method,Phone Number or date, I do not want to overwrite that with the updated table I will be importing. It will have the same information just with updated usage. By selecting the 3 items mentioned, I dont need to see any updated information because I know we are working on it.
I really appreiate the help.

Attachments

• 123.xls
    13.5 KB · Views: 155

dcb

Normally Lost
Local time
If someone enters a completion method,Phone Number or date, I do not want to overwrite that with the updated table I will be importing. It will have the same information just with updated usage. By selecting the 3 items mentioned, I dont need to see any updated information because I know we are working on it.
I really appreiate the help.

Seeing you are doing the excel method - save me some time here and put 5 rows of data in - also one row which has the example of dont update....

dcb

Normally Lost
Local time
also the two tables are exactly the same?

uglydork

Registered User.
Local time
I do not want anything to write over if the date,phone number or complete drop down has information.
Sorry, I included a DB with table 27. This is the table I work with.

Attachments

• db1.mdb
    192 KB · Views: 131

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom