Question In-Database Calculator (1 Viewer)

carrybag93

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 13:03
I'm trying to make a postage calculator for my database. I have to make a table first (obviously), but ultimately I would like to create a form. The postage price depends on the state you are sending the item to, and the weight of the item. The item weight is stored in my other table 'Stock', but I don't mind if the user has to look that up themselves and input the weight. Then they have to select the state they want the item sent to and the charge for post should automatically calculate after that.

So, the form should include:

1) Input box where the user types in the weight
2) A combo box where you select your state
3) A price that automatically calculates the weight*weight per kg depending on the state selected.

I have absolutely no idea on how to set this up!

Trevor G

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 04:03
Can you upload a sample of your database so I can take a look at what you are trying to achieve and what can be used.

carrybag93

Registered User.
Local time
It's in 2010 Access :)

Attachments

• Pets Online.accdb
    1.2 MB · Views: 66

Trevor G

Registered User.
Local time
I can take a look at this tomorrow as I am not using 2010 at today. See if anyone else takes a look.

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
how does the rate change depending on the weight, and the state

you need to build tables that have all this info available so that the use can then

a) select a state and
b) select a weight
c) maybe select a "speedy" service
d) anything else
e) then calculate the postage

now b) maybe tricky

I imaging you are just using categories

standard letter
medium letter
small package etc

rather than the actual weight

this could get difficult if the US postal service has different bands for different states - so that eg, a parcel that qualifies as a "small package" for California comes out as a "medium package" for New York.

you need to be careful designing your structure, and also allow for change. In the UK every thing changed recently, as "letters" became "standard", "medium" and "large" depending on weight, but also on thickness.

carrybag93

Registered User.
Local time
This is an assignment, not going to be a real database. It's Australian states and territories so there is only eight of them, which I put into the table. And... it's not packages I'm sending... it's cows and beagles. :p So it's based on weight in kg x cost per kg, which changes with the state.
http://www.access-programmers.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=226980
This other thread explains it better I think. Sorry about the inconvenience of redirected :s

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom