Index (1 Viewer)

rushB

Local time
Today, 16:53
Hello there,

I want to design some sort of index where you can see for example every name of the items that are listed in the database. This could be done by a report as far as I know. Ideally, I could click onto the name and it would redirect me to the different forms. Any possibilities on how to achieve that?

Thanks in advance and stay safe

Ranman256

Local time
Today, 11:53
The autoNum field can create unique index for every record.

But you can search on any field.

rushB

Local time
The autoNum field can create unique index for every record.

But you can search on any field.
Oh okay thanks for the tip. Would you mind explaining how it functions? It's the first time I hear of this :)

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 08:53
Hi. What do you mean exactly by "index?" Are you referring to a list of some sort?

rushB

Local time
Hi. What do you mean exactly by "index?" Are you referring to a list of some sort?
Hi there,
Yes some kind of list where I can click on the entry and I will be redirected to the specific form.

MajP

You've got your good things, and you've got mine.
Local time
You can simply make a form in continuous view and then in the record you can add a command button or a double click event on the fields. Then open a detail form to that record

Docmd.openForm "SomeDetailForm,,,,"YourIDFieldName = " & Me.YourIDFieldName

Note I think that is the right amount of commas (put the string in the where field)

FYI, the term index was confusing since a table has indices, but you are referring to an index like in a book.

rushB

Local time
You can simply make a form in continuous view and then in the record you can add a command button or a double click event on the fields. Then open a detail form to that record

Note I think that is the right amount of commas (put the string in the where field)

FYI, the term index was confusing since a table has indices, but you are referring to an index like in a book.
Thank you for the explanation. I will try my best to get it. I didn't know how to call it the right way, so I thought index would be the right term

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I'm working on an example. I'll post it tomorrow. If you don't see it, sent me a PM.

rushB

Local time

Can I somehow program it that way that when someone create a new entry in the form it will also show up in the index?

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I think this sample might do what you need.

Notice that the AfterUpdate event in the edit form, requeries the address book form. That makes the new record show up or makes changes to an existing record show up.

There is a bug in the address book form which I am still trying to track down but it has been elusive so far. I think the form is corrupt since the original version works fine. In any event. the first time you click on one of the letter radio buttons, nothing shows up but if you click on a different letter and than back to the original, you get results.

Attachments

• AddressBook_20200813b.zip
    115.1 KB · Views: 123

rushB

Local time
I think this sample might do what you need.

Notice that the AfterUpdate event in the edit form, requeries the address book form. That makes the new record show up or makes changes to an existing record show up.

There is a bug in the address book form which I am still trying to track down but it has been elusive so far. I think the form is corrupt since the original version works fine. In any event. the first time you click on one of the letter radio buttons, nothing shows up but if you click on a different letter and than back to the original, you get results.
That was exactly what I was looking for, thanks a lot

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 15:53
From your first post I thought you wanted a list of all database objects.
You can obtain that by querying the hidden system table MSysObjects
Or you can use my utility View All Database Objects

1597389779391.png

Or you can use the Database Documenter feature built into Access. Its in Database Tools ...but it may be too detailed for your purposes

rushB

Local time
From your first post I thought you wanted a list of all database objects.
You can obtain that by querying the hidden system table MSysObjects
Or you can use my utility View All Database Objects

View attachment 84287

Or you can use the Database Documenter feature built into Access. Its in Database Tools ...but it may be too detailed for your purposes
Okay will try that, thanks a lot

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
You're welcome. PM me if the bug bothers you and I'll try to recreate the db to get rid of the bug.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom