install uninstall access application.. (1 Viewer)

Bosch

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 09:14
Hi all..

I am not even sure if it will be possible.

I use Access 2003 and Access developer extensions for packaging the software(operating system is Windows 2000)..everytime I upgrade my software, the users need to uninstall it from their computer and then install my new version..
Is it possible to automate this process so that users click a button on the application and uninstall and install is taken care?

I know I can run a batch file using shell command...but can I create a bat file to uninstall and install? Now, users goto add/remove programs and remove their current version before they install new version.

Thanks

ghudson

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 12:14
Once the users have installed your program the first time; they do not need to use the complete installation package again. All they need is the new files to update [over right] the old files. Use something like WinZip Self-Extractor to install the new files.

If they already have the retail or the runtime version of Access installed then all they need are the files to make your application run [not the entire installation package].

Bosch

Registered User.
Local time
ghudson...thanks for your response..

I ship access runtime along with the application. I use the same procedure to create the installation package everytime.. When the users double click on the setup.exe file, they get a msg 'this application is already installed'..
So, everytime they uninstall using Add/Remove programs then install this application.

I have not done anything like what you are saying.. Can you please give me more details or direct me to details?

Thanks once again..

cross5900

Blarg!
Local time
Today, 11:14
What is happening is even though you are just updating the exe with a new version you are literally making a new .exe; since they installed on the previous .exe they would have to use that same one to install/uninstall it from the program rather than add/remove programs.

What I would suggest is creating an auto-update feature where when you make an update or a new version and on their next log in, it will download the new version and they will be good to go. It is a time consuming process but worth it in the end.

Bosch

Registered User.
Local time
cross5900..I believe I can create the auto-update feature in my application to copy files from my shared drive to the client's computer.. but my problem is I dont what files to copy and to where..

When I create application package using access developer extensions it creates three items.

SETUP.EXE
Files - this is folder name
Autorun.inf

Which of the above items i need to copy ? and to where?

Thanks

Bosch

Registered User.
Local time
Can anyone please help me with this.
I know most of you do this based on my search in this forum..But I need some specific information. I think, my post just gone unnoticed..

Thanks

Bosch

Registered User.
Local time
Sorry to post it again..
I know atleast some of you have answer to this question!

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom