Installing Outlook 2003 to avoid security prompts/allow automation (1 Viewer)

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Today, 08:33
I'm having memory-problems, and would like to see if anyone has any insight or advice plus whether or not I'm remembering this right?

In Outlook 2003, IIRC, we could automate Outlook to our heart's content with little-to-no security prompts.
Beginning after Outlook 2003, it got more difficult - especially if Outlook detects that you don't have an antivirus installed.
Enter things like Redemption, which you can install and it makes available a library to use in VBA that will avoid security prompts.

So if I was facing a project to deploy on a virtual server (Windows 2019 Server), I could, perhaps, choose to install Outlook 2003 (if such a thing can still be found??) and basically save myself a lot of trouble. Right? (I understand CDO is an option, but I kind of want to try it the automating-Outlook-way, as I'm more familiar with how to trap errors and stuff like that).

(My goal here is not a multi-user database. It's going to be mostly a "machine/engine" which will be left running all the time, Access form with timer, that constantly loops through a table of Vendors and 'does' some things - like FTP pushes, file copies locally, and email notifications when/if things go wrong, and also some email notifications to certain vendors containing their file in addition to the FTP push).

Is there any other "cautionary" things I should consider before choosing to install Outlook 2003 in order to automate it without security prompts?
Any reasons why I ought to reconsider or avoid this?

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
A couple of things:

1) Outlook 2003 does have the warning. It was introduced in Outlook 2000 so you'd have to use a version earlier than that.

2) Outlook 2007 and above has the ability to set the access security. Look at this: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/ou...rying-to-send-an-email-message-on-your-behalf
Right! That totally did jog my memory, thanks much!! So it seems like it might be a good idea to use Outlook 2007 or 2010

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Today, 16:33
Issac,
As you know, I use 2007 and was regularly sending emails from Access for my SSAFA work, without any issues.
Sadly for the life of me, I cannot remember what I had to do (if anything), but you can ask me to check anything on my system, like registry entries, if it will help at all?

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Issac,
As you know, I use 2007 and was regularly sending emails from Access for my SSAFA work, without any issues.
Sadly for the life of me, I cannot remember what I had to do (if anything), but you can ask me to check anything on my system, like registry entries, if it will help at all?
Okay thank you, I may take you up on that offer. First let me get 2007 installed and see how it works with just changing the Trust Center settings.
Great stuff gentlemen, appreciate it and glad i asked..

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
I just realized I have Outlook 2010 installed at this particular machine so I may try this first and hopefully it will work as well as 2007? Once I adjust the trust Center settings or the registry? Unless someone knows it won't work, I'm going to try it and report back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom