Intro (1 Viewer)

Drayloc

Local time
Today, 14:31
Hi,
I'm fairly new to Access programming, been at it about 3 Weeks.
Started it for work, found it to be a good program so far, but trying to do what my boss wants me to do on it is being a really big pain in the a**:(.

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Hi there and welcome to the forum! With regard to what your boss wants, a better approach might be to tell s/he what you can do. It's unfair to expect you to do anything outside of your experience quickly and easily.

Does your boss allow you to search the Internet for MS Access solutions in work time?

Has your boss given you a budget to buy the necessary books?

Are there any local courses are available which might help you get to grips with MS Access?

These are the sort of questions I would put back at him/her!

Drayloc

Local time
Hi Uncle Gizmo and Thanks for the Reply and Welcome. I was the one to suggest using Access as I learned a little about it for a course about four years ago and he knows I'm a fairly quick study so he kinda just expects me to get on with it. As to your questions:

Does your boss allow you to search the Internet for MS Access solutions in work time? - Yes.

Has your boss given you a budget to buy the necessary books? - No, we are a very small company so don't really have a budget for that kind of thing.

Are there any local courses are available which might help you get to grips with MS Access? - None that I can find and as I said earlier there isn't a bidget for that kind of thing. I'm sort of expected to find everthing out from the Internet.

These are the sort of questions I would put back at him/her!

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Well it looks to me that you’ve got the main requirement, “you want to learn” and you couldn’t do any better really than this particular website; there’s a lot of people who are willing to help and guide you, with a wide and varied knowledge between them.

The main reason for asking “those questions” is to ascertain whether you have the backing required, otherwise you’re on a hiding to nothing. It’s something I’ve learnt when quoting jobs, you have to be sure you’re talking to the right person, and you have to be sure what happens to the project when that person leaves the company for some reason!

When I first started learning MS Access, I had to learn it all from books, there were no forums! When I did eventually gain access to forums, my learning speeded up no end. However I would encourage you to study a book, and work through the examples in a book, there’s no better way to learn the basics.

Online Book: (Not for beginners)
If you're past the basics and getting into the “clever stuff” then you might like this particular book, it’s free, is on-line, I realise it’s very old, (access 97) however much of it the information is still relevant.
http://msaccesshintsandtips.ning.com/forum/topics/948619:Topic:147

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom