Invoice Tables PK FK and Indexes (1 Viewer)

Jordonjd

Local time
Today, 10:14
If your calculations are correct, then that is fine. How you arrive at the result is your really preference. It may change with
experience, which is what this is all about.

It is my opinion that all of the data that someone needs to see should be available without needing to scroll about to see it.
Many users prefer to use the keyboard only on data entry by means of the Tab, Enter, PageUp/PageDn and Arrow keys. Plus,
if you are using a datasheet a <Control>+<Apostrophe> <Ctrl>,<'> will copy the field in the line above, which often saves
time. Being forced into Mouse, Keyboard, Mouse, Keyboard operations is a real pain.

Having enough screen space has always been a challenge. (Try fitting everything in with a screen of 24 lines and 80
characters across, which is how it was in the olden days!)

If you don't have enough room on one line, reduce the font or use two lines. Maybe consider using a continuous SubForm
instead of a datasheet? They need more time to setup but two lines in that may be easier.

Not sure what "room for error" means. However, in the main you're really on your own when it comes to screen layout because
you know everything about the analysis and the application, which we cannot.

Just make sure data entry is quick and easy, requiring little if any skill from the user. Plus, make sure they cannot enter invalid
data. For instance; if it is a number field don't let them leave a Null in it, but if they do, convert it to a zero in the AfterUpdate().
Basically, make sure the users cannot enter anything that you don't want them to.

I also attach a PDF here explaining the single table invoice which I replied to Jordon off the Forum in a Conversation, which shouldn't really happen.

Sorry for the conversation, I will make sure to keep all questions on the forum as i should.

Also thankyou for the advice again.

I am having trouble with the long integer number data type though, it automatically rounds the values so im not sure how i can use to store calculated values?

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Today, 09:14
Years ago, I had to create a data entry form.
I decided to put up a message asking if the user was sure they wanted to save.

A short while later, I had to go to the premises for some other reason and I saw them using the form (this was not Access BTW) and they just double tapped the Enter key when saving the record, never looked at the message. :)

So I took it out in the next mod and advised them accordingly. :)

Cotswold

Local time
Today, 09:14
Sometimes the fact that it will round up a number without you trying is handy, but not in this case of course.

You do the calculation then convert the result to a Long. So if money: 23.17 x 1.13 x 100 = the amount in pence
or cents. The result is 2618.21 which you assign to a Long which will contain 2618. I suspect you are sending 26.1821.
Same with VAT: 23.17 x 1.13 x 0.2 x 100 or 2618 x 0.2 whichever you prefer. The order you place the numbers in
the calculation is unimportant unless it involves any additions or subtractions. In which case you'll need brackets.
Having said that it can be helpful to place calculations in brackets to make it easier to follow later.

If you have tonnes and kilos and you need the tonnage delivered, then you'll need to multiply by 1000 to save the result as kilos.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom