Is database running? (1 Viewer)

DT

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 23:21
Question:
Is it possible to see if a database has stopped running (errored out, timed out, or if code builder is open) thru another database. I know how to look for the .LDB file to see if the database is open...but is it possible to know if it's broken?

The reason I ask is that I have a database on a pc (can't be put on a network) that updates/refreshes every 5 minutes. Once in awhile someone will do something and cause the database to halt (code builder window opens). Currently the way I check to see if the database is running is to VNC onto the pc from my pc and see if it's running. Does this make since?

DT

dwilliams

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 07:21
Right....

Well if the code builder window is open when it stops, that suggests it's trying to debug. Look carefully at your error trapping code and thoroughly debug it.

Task manager will also tell you if whether the program is responding or not.

You could also create an empty database on your machine with a basic form and a linked table that you could check now and again, by entering and deleting a record. do this with a macro or something.

elbweb

Self Taught Hero
Local time
Today, 02:21
the only simple solution i can see is if you create something within the main form of that db that updates a table every couple of minutes, with the current time (i.e. whenever it does this update procedure) and then another db has access to these tables, checks the last time of update, and if it was greater then 5 minutes ago, do what you need to do, and if it wasn't then everything is working smoothly.

other then that i would see you having to create some sort of heartbeat or something.. nothing that would be very easily done, but then again, i don't know much about controling the actual 'access' program so there could be an easier way, im more of a VB person myself :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom