Is there a "Properties" book or something? (1 Viewer)

fredalina

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 01:18
I realize it would probably be a tome but is there a book that lists all of the possible options for all of the various properties of different objects? For example, I discovered through trial and error that in a chart on a form, the code for the MarkerType property of the SeriesCollection() object (think I have the terminology correct) for a circle is 8. The default value appears to be -4015. I would NEVER have been able to find this if I hadn't written code to put the MarkerType in a MsgBox. I still don't know what the asterisk or the plus sign codes are.

I run into these problems all the time, and for the more obscure objects, it can be really difficult to discover the codes.

bulrush

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 02:18
Nope. Ever since Office 97, Access help has been really awful. You can't have bookmarks anymore to save object info, and the index is just useless. So I simply make my own helpfiles with mainly the objects, their properties, methods, and other info. And that means I make my own help file index which works much better.

I use Helpscribble. There is a free version.

Kryst51

Singin' in the Hou. Rain
Local time
If you are asking for somewhere to find all the properties to help you, check out this site.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb726434(v=office.12).aspx

Click Office 2010
Click Access 2010
Click Access 2010 Developer Reference
Click Access Object Model Reference
Click ComboBox Obeject
Click Properties

Then you should see a list of all available properties for the ComboBox.

ChipperT

Banned in 13 Countries
Local time
Yesterday, 23:18
Nope. Ever since Office 97, Access help has been really awful. You can't have bookmarks anymore to save object info, and the index is just useless. So I simply make my own helpfiles with mainly the objects, their properties, methods, and other info. And that means I make my own help file index which works much better.

I use Helpscribble. There is a free version.
Where would you find a free version? I only see a $99 single user version, $399 five user version and "free" trial.

MarkK

bit cruncher
Local time
Two Words

Object Browser
Mine is just about always open. Any referenced object library exposes all it's objects, methods, types, enumerated type, etc.....

Kryst51

Singin' in the Hou. Rain
Local time
Re: Two Words

Object Browser
Mine is just about always open. Any referenced object library exposes all it's objects, methods, types, enumerated type, etc.....

I haven't heard of this, where is it found?

Kryst51

Singin' in the Hou. Rain
Local time
She is smart.... The question never crossed my mind....

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 16:18
How have I gone so long without knowing this information? It could have made life so much easier..... :confused::eek::confused:

If you have not discovered the Object Browser perhaps you have not found the Locals window either.

When the run is in Break, the Locals window displays a tree with the state of every variable and object property in the active module. I can't imagine debugging without it.

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
And we might as well mention the WATCH window where you can set something to stop if a certain condition is met.

fredalina

Registered User.
Local time
Thank you ALL! This will make my life immeasurably easier!

Banana

split with a cherry atop.
Local time
FWIW - a general suggestion for using help in 2007 or 2010: Turn off the online content (select the last two from list that is grouped under "On my computer" or so and don't allow it to search online content. This magically makes help useful by 100x, and is printed very similar to what you'd see on MSDN. Go figgers.

On 2003, I just don't use the Access to enter any of help - I go to VBA windows and get better results there.

vbaInet

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 07:18
FWIW - a general suggestion for using help in 2007 or 2010: Turn off the online content (select the last two from list that is grouped under "On my computer" or so and don't allow it to search online content. This magically makes help useful by 100x, and is printed very similar to what you'd see on MSDN. Go figgers.
Exactly what I did too. It's slow and absolutely useless when connected to online content.

On 2003, I just don't use the Access to enter any of help - I go to VBA windows and get better results there.
I actually use both but tend to use VBA help more. It seems the Application help is geered towards basic users. There are some content on there that aren't available in the VBA side though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom