Is there a way to preserve/protect the bookmark brackets [] in MS Word? (1 Viewer)

kilroyscarnival

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 15:15
Thanks! I will keep that in mind.

So far so good with the content controls. As I've been revising documents this week I've been itching with impatience to correct the repetitive simple little formatting errors. I realize I'll have to see if I can take some time in their monthly learning lunches to go over some simple things like using styles.

One of these days I will undertake to formally learn VBA instead of the mishmash of concepts and code I have in my quiver.

The one thing I'm working on now is, can I have an easy way for them to add the company with address in each report cover letter? The way I thought of was to create a dropdown of the top 25 or so clients, which would eliminate a lot of it. Could I then create code dependent on the company name chosen in the dropdown to add two lines of address underneath? I was trying to do it by dependent dropdowns but I think that's too complex because it would be three sets of 25 that would only be correctly lined up once. And it's too bad there's no multi-line dropdown in Word (I seem to recall I did one in Excel?)

Another possibility there is to put those text sets in plain old Quick Parts to be added that way. I think QP can be tied to the template. But it would require people remembering that it's there.

strive4peace

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 10:15
hi Ann,

I've had you on my mind even though it is awhile since I posted. Sorry about that. Things happen.

Word is a great tool for writing, but its not a database. Perhaps that variable information needs to be captured by a database ... or better yet, driven by a database.

Rather than users skipping around to different parts of the document to fill for their expertise ... perhaps consider using a database to collect that variable information and merge that into Word. Different data from various experts could be collected and when what is required is there, the document could be generated with better comfort that its right. Less time to fill out and more efficient. Plus better capability to query historical information.

~~~
One thing you were wondering about is a way to choose a company and fill in the address from a list in Excel -- using Word, this requires code, and a data source.

~~~
If data is ALREADY in a database with relationships, then when you merge, its a snap. Word can have logic too -- like whether or not to include conditional text -- video tutorial shows how ~

Although this isn't how you envision it, it is the long-range answer to be efficient. Perhaps after awhile, merging this way, driven by Word, preparing data beforehand, isn't the best route in the end ... but its a step in the right direction. Then you could turn it around and generate the Word document from Access.

Merge Data from Access into Microsoft Word

kilroyscarnival

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 15:15
hi Ann,

I've had you on my mind even though it is awhile since I posted. Sorry about that. Things happen.

Word is a great tool for writing, but its not a database. Perhaps that variable information needs to be captured by a database ... or better yet, driven by a database.

Yeah, I'm sorry, and I appreciate your ideas, but so far even the changes I've made to the template have fallen on deaf ears. I'm finished exploring this for the short term.

Thanks,

Ann

strive4peace

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 10:15
hi Ann,

"fallen on deaf ears"

I've seen that a lot, but don't give up! Interview those who use it, get their ideas, build them in, and give them credit. It's a slow process to change what has taken years to come to. And you're new!

Make changes in small steps. You seem to have a good idea of where it needs to go. One step at a time though ... rather than a sweeping change. After you talk to others, what is the biggest pain? Address that first -- and thank them in update meetings, memos, and application message boxes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom