Is there any way to disable the incorporated "hover" properties for command buttons? (1 Viewer)

JMongi

Local time
Today, 17:08
As the title states. I guess these hover button properties are a relatively new feature and to do mouse hover effects before people used vba code in mouse events. I've got a suspicion about some Access wrinkles but I can't test them without disabling these built in hover properties. Is there a way to do this or am I out of luck?

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Today, 14:08
Would you mind providing a screenshot of what you're talking about?

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
What Access wrinkles are you referring to? I don't think the command button Hover property has any Event associated with it. Does it?

As far as I know, they're just for color effects.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 22:08
The hover settings just change the appearance of buttons. If you don't like the effect, make the hover colours identical to the normal colours

JMongi

Local time
It's a bit too dynamic to do a screenshot really. What I've noticed is that if you set all of the hover colors to the same, you still get noticeable painting artificats aka flicker as Access presumably repaints the buttons. Since its a button property I can't really tell if that's what's goin on or not. So my question isn't to achieve a specific functionality it's to investigate these graphical artifacts.

JMongi

Local time
Most of the common comments on reducing/eliminating flicker aren't even a part of this form. It doesn't have a recordset. It's just a simple form. There are no unattached labels. I do have a form background. Since it's a button property there are no clear places to try and prevent unneeded repaints. Even if I set all hover properties to the same color, that makes it about the worst as far as flicker. It's wierd.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Most of the common comments on reducing/eliminating flicker aren't even a part of this form. It doesn't have a recordset. It's just a simple form. There are no unattached labels. I do have a form background. Since it's a button property there are no clear places to try and prevent unneeded repaints. Even if I set all hover properties to the same color, that makes it about the worst as far as flicker. It's wierd.
Can you post a sample db?

JMongi

Local time
Yeah, let me put one together...

JMongi

Local time
Hmm...what's the file upload limit, I must be running into it. And I tried using 7zip but that is an unsupported file format. My zipped file is right around 6MB.

JMongi

Local time
Wait, that's weird....let me investigate. My source DB is only 4.4MB. Let me compact...

JMongi

Local time
Here we go.

Attachments

• TestDB1.zip
    2.9 MB · Views: 204

JMongi

Local time
You should be able to see it clearly if you set the form background color to red.
Aside from the appropriate hover property settings, at some point the form background color shows as the button background color even through my form background picture.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
I don't see any flicker on hover. There is a flicker on clicking any of the buttons. You could avoid/minimise this using Application.Echo events.
Having said this I have several similar forms that show no flicker.

BTW did you see my last reply to your password login thread? A reply to that would be helpful.

JMongi

Local time
So, the uploaded DB has a white form background color. If you change that to red and move the mouse over the buttons, you see the red form background color which should never be seen. I'm calling that flicker, but it's really some weird state where the background color is something it should never be.

JMongi

Local time
So I read in this thread:
That there is some type of Access limitation/issue on larger size form background images. Sure enough. If I remove the image with a bright red form background and move the mouse over my buttons, no extra background colors show up. I wonder if there is a way to deal with form background pictures that doesn't create this issue.

JMongi

Local time
So, that's the actual issue. But, the question is....can you turn off the hover effects for a command button?

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
So, that's the actual issue. But, the question is....can you turn off the hover effects for a command button?
Unfortunately, I am not aware of any way to do that. If you don't want the buttons to have a hover effect, the only thing I could think of is to use an image that includes all your buttons as your Form's background image. You can then add transparent buttons on top of the button images to do the work. Hope that helps...

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
As stated, I can't replicate your issue. Try switching off use Windows themed controls in forms or use Application.Echo False/True to temporarily disable screen updating

JMongi

Local time
Not really, but thanks anyway! It's a shame that something so potentially useful as a form background has such a hitch in its usage.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
If I take your uploaded database, and set the form background to Red as you have suggested, and then hover over the buttons - I do see a red flicker as my mouse enters the airspace above the button - literally right then only. Not persistent while hover, but a momentary flicker as I enter the button's airspace. Is that what you're talking about?

If so, I definitely see what you mean. There is no reason the red should show, as per my expectation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom