Is this OVERTIME? (1 Viewer)

Fifty2One

Legend in my own mind
Local time
Yesterday, 21:55
Should someone submit an overtime claim if they have been using the PDA the company supplied them with after business hours for business purposes :confused:

Banana

split with a cherry atop.
Local time
To be fully consistent, this would also necessitate that PDA be either left at work or turned off after business hours with a auto-message saying that the user isn't available until next business day. Gonna be a two way street, IMO.

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
Today, 00:55
Are you on call at that time to answer it? I don't know how it works in Canada, but typically when you have a business phone, pda, etc in the states and are "on call" then you are paid during the hours you are on call, whether you end up doing any work or not. If you decide to do work on your own time without the expectation that you are supposed to do the work, I wouldn't imagine you should get paid for it.

Sum Guy

Registered User.
Local time
I would expect payment for the time I was not at the office, dealing with office business.

On the other hand, if it is a condition of employment that you are "on call" 24/7 then you are already being compensated for this service.

I had a boss tried to palm a blackberry on me.
Me: What's this for
Boss: So we can contact you while you're away from the office
M: Like at home or on vacation?
B: Yes
M: What's my "on call" rate of payment
B: Huh?
M: How much will I be paid when I'm on holdiay and you call me to deal with an office problem.

Blackberry vanished.

namliam

The Mailman - AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 05:55
I just take time for time... I work 1 hour at home in the evening... I take 1.5 hour leave the next day... or whenever I need it for an emergency.

The flexible way of applying this allows me to leave when ever I want/need to (i.e. with the death of my Sister inlaw) while helping out my employer by "on occasion" (= once every week atleast) working from home.

As long as he doesnt complain about my taking liberties of leaving early when I see fit, I dont have problems of him "expecting" me to be available in an Emergency.
Offcourse since he is not actually paying me, he cannot demand anything and will have to accept that if I am not at home, I cannot do anything. If he expects me to be home... *show me the money*.
If I happen to be home AND not have anything "pressing" to do, sure I will help him.... if he keeps helping me.... It is a synerchy kind of thing.

If however my boss for some reason thinks he can take liberties without me doing the same (like posting on the forum every now and then) ... Then I am gonna stop helping him too.
Had that happen in the past once, lasted 1 whole week before it was changed back again... Flexibility rulez, for both Employer as Employee.

secretcrowds

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 04:55
on call rate?
being on call outside of work, even if you do not get a call, you should still be paid for sacrificing your evening for the possibility of a call.
eg, you cant exactly go out and get wrecked if you may get a call and have to VPN onto the network or talk someone through something.

I definitly would not work on a 'pay per call' basis.
definitly flat rate for the evening, calls or no calls

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
on call rate?
being on call outside of work, even if you do not get a call, you should still be paid for sacrificing your evening for the possibility of a call.
eg, you cant exactly go out and get wrecked if you may get a call and have to VPN onto the network or talk someone through something.

I definitly would not work on a 'pay per call' basis.
definitly flat rate for the evening, calls or no calls

Exactly why on call here typically means you get paid for the entire amount of on call time, regardless if a call actually occurs.

Rabbie

Super Moderator
Local time
Should someone submit an overtime claim if they have been using the PDA the company supplied them with after business hours for business purposes :confused:
My employer will only pay overtime if authorised in advance. I think you need to get this clarified before it becomes an issue

secretcrowds

Registered User.
Local time
My employer will only pay overtime if authorised in advance. I think you need to get this clarified before it becomes an issue

that sucks! its things like that, and my company telling people that they wont pay people for overtime that they did last month coz it cant be authorized, when it was people working extra to help out the company.
not fair at all.

Sum Guy

Registered User.
Local time
that sucks! its things like that, and my company telling people that they wont pay people for overtime that they did last month coz it cant be authorized, when it was people working extra to help out the company.
not fair at all.

Which is why I for one won't do it.
I show up for work on time. I leave at the appointed time.
If you can't complete you duties in the time allotted, you aren't working hard enough.
If they give me a project with an impossible deadline, I inform the boss that this will require overtime and I expect to be compensated for it.

statsman

Local time
There was a story in the Toronto papers about a year ago.
For the past 50 years when a Toronto Police Officer worked overtime, he could enter it on his duty sheet as "No Claim". Before the end of his current work cycle (day shift, night shift or afternoon shift), he could then take the time off. No paperwork, just the honour system. There was nothing official about No Claim, it is just a system that evolved.
Seems a new Inspector arrived at a police division and charged an officer who was in the station an hour before the scheduled end of his shift. He was going to take his "No Claim" time that day. Cost him an 8 hour suspension.
The police union has informed all officers to claim the overtime officially. The result, a trebling of overtime payments.
The police chief wants to go back to the old system but the union has said the officer in question must get back the 8 hours he lost and a contract must be signed setting out the rules for "No Claim". The current chief has a habit of saying one thing to the rank and file and doing another. In addition, the Inspector must be disciplined.

A prime example of "the boss" cutting off his nose to spite his face.

Fifty2One

Legend in my own mind
Local time
Frontline airport employees used to have the Work thru policy where they would work through their lunch and break times and leave 45 minutes before the end of their shift without penalty. A new airport manager snuffed the unofficial system as it is against the labour code to work a shift without any break periods. The first evening of following the labour code all the flights for all the airlines from 16:30 through 19:30 were delayed up to 2 hours because of no one available to service the aircraft. The unofficial system was reinstated the following day.

I think the manager is now working at a QuickyMart in Goose Bay :eek:

There was a story in the Toronto papers about a year ago.
For the past 50 years when a Toronto Police Officer worked overtime, he could enter it on his duty sheet as "No Claim". Before the end of his current work cycle (day shift, night shift or afternoon shift), he could then take the time off. No paperwork, just the honour system. There was nothing official about No Claim, it is just a system that evolved.
Seems a new Inspector arrived at a police division and charged an officer who was in the station an hour before the scheduled end of his shift. He was going to take his "No Claim" time that day. Cost him an 8 hour suspension.
The police union has informed all officers to claim the overtime officially. The result, a trebling of overtime payments.
The police chief wants to go back to the old system but the union has said the officer in question must get back the 8 hours he lost and a contract must be signed setting out the rules for "No Claim". The current chief has a habit of saying one thing to the rank and file and doing another. In addition, the Inspector must be disciplined.

A prime example of "the boss" cutting off his nose to spite his face.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom