Is this possible? (1 Viewer)

FC

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 20:42
I'm going nuts trying to create this form and I've gone thru all the Access examples for help. There does not seem to be a problem you guys can't solve, so I'm begging for help! I'll do my best to describe my situation:
I'm working with a horrible database and need a form that uses 2 of the tables. Table1 has the machine name as well as other info related to the machine. The only thing it doesn't have (which I need) is the machine description which is in Table2. The problem is, these are not unique machine names or descriptions. (There are over 10,000 machine names but only approx 600 machine descriptions.) Multiple machines (with the same name) have the same description. Then they will have other properties that make them different (a different size, etc). The only id number that is in both tables is a machine description number. But this is not a unique number since 1 description may match up to 20 or so machine names. (The only unique identifier is the Item Number, but it is only in Table1. Also, this is an Auto Number and no one using this info would know what the Item # is.)
I have created a query and the link between the 2 tables is the machine description number. This query gives me accurate results.
The form is needed so that the user can pull up a machine name, then a description and have the form pull in all the other relevant info so they can edit the machine's pricing.
I created a combo box that list all the machine names (using select distinct so that they would not see a ton of the same names). The 2nd combo box pulls up descriptions based on the machine name selected in the first combo box. Since the number of descriptions averages around 100 per machine name, this combo box has multiple columns to show the other info so the user will know which description to pick. Now I'm stuck. I want to have text boxes that populate all the fields (pulling from my query) for that machine name & description the user picked in the 2 combo boxes. I cannot get this to work. Any suggestions? (I hope this make sense.) Thank you for your help!

charityg

Registered User.
Local time
I've started answering this question about 5 times, but each time I've gotten lost in your table setup description.

Would it be possible to email me your database to take a look at so I can give yo a more detailed answer your question?

The answer lies in creating a recordset based on the recordset clone of the form. (Your form is based on a saved query). You then use the findfirst method to locate the record that matches the selections made in the combobox. Then you set the form's bookmark property equal to the recordset's bookmark.

The problem I'm having is letting you know how to code your findfirst criteria. It would be better to use the unique identifiers to find the right record, but you might have to rely on using the text descriptions, but I couldn't tell you without seeing the setup.

Anyway, if this overview of the solution gets you where you need to go then GREAT, but if not, I've got time on my hands today, and I'll work with you until you get it.

Let me know either way,
Charity

FC

Registered User.
Local time
Charity,
You are wonderful to offer to help. An e-mail is on the way. Thanks!!!

charityg

Registered User.
Local time
Unfortunately, I can't help. I can't open his database. Could it be a 2000 to 97 issue.

I have 97

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom