Job Offer (A Scam if I ever saw one) (1 Viewer)

Len Boorman

Back in gainfull employme
Local time
Today, 16:09
I am registered at Monster looking for alternative employment. Got an email this morning offering me ajob

Here's the email

We have found your resume at Monster.co.uk and we would like to offer you a job.
It is a part-time job that consists of receiving payments from customers
(through bank transfers) and then making further payments to our main office or
to one of our regional affiliated departments, depending on the customer's
location.

Your commission as an agent is 6% of each transaction. For example, if you
receive 2000 GBP to your bank account, you will withdraw the money and keep 120
GBP for yourself. Your salary will be approximately 12000 GBP per year. The
hours for this work are flexible and can be combined with any permanent or other
part-time job, with an average workload of up to 10 hours a week. All additional
money transfer fees and money transfer-related charges are covered and paid for
by our company. Therefore you'll only be responsible for making the proper
payments in time (i.e. within 48 hrs of successful receipt into your account).
Each transaction will be transferred only after prior notification, which will
sometimes be a notification by phone call.

Our company's principal business is based on a peer-to-peer type payment
network, this business model heavily employs all the latest internet
technologies. We are one of only a few companies that uses regional
representatives in its business operations. This avoids high foreign taxation
and cross-board acquisition fees. If you are interested in our offer, please
feel free to ask for details of the general provisions of the contract.

Now there was no company mentioned, or in the emailaddress.

Sounds as if somebody is either setting up a tax fiddle of looking to launder money

Anybody else seen anything like this.

Len

GaryPanic

Smoke me a Kipper,Skipper
Local time
Today, 08:09
If I were you forward this on to the Fraud squad or the FSA- Banking regulators - drop it like a hot potato

you do not want these guys doing there thing on you at all - you will be on there books for ever

contact monster- and warn them (they will thank you for it in the end )

g

Len Boorman

Local time
Yeah figured it was a bit iffy. Old enough and wise enough to know that if something looks too good to be true, it probably is

I will certainly have a word or so with Monster.

L

MrsGorilla

Rat Race Participant
Local time
Today, 10:09
I've seen those too. :rolleyes: Especially back when I just had my daughter and was looking to see if there was anything (reputable) that I could do from home.

Len Boorman

Local time
Had a word with Monster

Definately not from them. It's a phishing email. Had enough sense not to respond to their link. Not sure what they were after but they didn't get anything.

L

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
Today, 08:09
I get lots of those emails. Sometimes I get 3 or 4 of them a day - all with the exact same message but supposedly from different "companies." My delete key definitely gets a workout. I've also received emails telling me that I am fortunate to be hired for a job, that I never applied for, that pays $100,000 a year doing secretarial work and I just need to contact them which entails joining a website and paying $60 to get the supplies. I just laugh over it, but also at the same time I know that there are idiots out there who fall for these things.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
What they will do is ask for your bank info so they can do their direct deposits. Except the FIRST thing they will do is a direct withdrawal.

Len Boorman

Local time
Being reputedly of Scottish and Jewish descent getting anything out of me is difficult (reputedly)

Some say I am a tightwad, skinflint, and other such adjectives. Fact is I am careful. These "phishers" had as much chance of getting my bank account details as Blair or his party winning the next election

L

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I'm a generous guy, but my department sponsors many different on-line presentations about phishing and spear-phishing. (The latter being a bit more targeted than ordinary phishing.)

I reached the point that when the National Science Foundation sent me a PhD survey, I chucked it back at them, eventually writing a VERY nasty letter that I hope made it clear that I wasn't inclined to participate, no matter how clearly they were "legit."

Jacob Mathai

Registered User.
Local time
I read a news article of a situation that happened in our area. A retired man of modest means responded to such a request to work for an "artist in England" who had a difficult time collecting money from clients in USA. Immediately, he received traveller's checks for the amount of 3000 dollars. He took it to his bank and cashed it and sent 90% of the money to the "employer" via Western Union. Then the next bacth of checks arrived and he promptly went to the bank to cash them. The bank teller called Police and the man was placed under arrest for bank fraud. He facing prosecution and years in jail.

How did this happen? Banks usually pay cash for checks from account holders based on faith. They hope to collect the money within a few days using normal bank procedures. It is this faith aspect of the US banks that is being exploited in this situation.

How did the story end? The State attorney concluded that the man was duped into believing that this is a legitimate business transaction. He had to make restitution to the bank to forego prosection. The man had to spend several thousand dollars in legal fees. His own finances were ruined.

These scams exploit some weaknesses in our banking systems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom