Job Titles (1 Viewer)

oumahexi

Free Range Witch
Local time
Today, 13:19
:D:D:D:D I just read through this thread, it's hillarious when you guys started talking about what was "overseas". Oh, by the way, Scotland, definately not out of the country, but England is ;)

My job title? Work Avoidance Officer...

oumahexi

Free Range Witch
Local time
Sounds very apt for some people I could think of:D Present company excluded of course

Awe, I worked very hard (or not) for this title!:p

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 07:19
My "official" title with my company is Network Engineer III (which is above II and I). My practical title is "Senior Systems Janitor" - but the government wonk who ran our department some time ago didn't like it when he saw that "personalized" signature. Catch is, I'd been using it for at least 18 years at the time.

Senior System Janitors - clean up computer messes. Which pretty much sums up what I do on a daily basis, including cleaning up after programmers who ought to know better than to leave their home directories in a mess.

I also have to be "Local Jaybird" - pecking at people who neglect their duties.

I am also "Big Brother" - as in ... "is watching you." I peruse the security logs on my big systems.

You might recognize this as a combination "Systems administrator" and "Security administrator." But I'm a U.S. Government contractor, which adds one more title - "Whipping boy."

For us, the rules are simple.

#1 - The contractor is always wrong.
#2 - When in doubt, see rule 1.

oumahexi

Free Range Witch
Local time
Yes, much the same here Doc, my job, as it stands, is the exact same as it was four years ago for four people, just with less pay. Typical government. I now have four times as much work to avoid :eek:

oumahexi

Free Range Witch
Local time
Should make it easier to spot then:D

Actually, it's only three times the avoidance load, I'm still avoiding my original job too. It does make it so much easier, at this rate I'll be the world expert :D

FluffyKitten

Jumble Bunny
Local time
I was just wondering what other jobs you have done. I kind of fell into this job without any training because I was off sick one day and my boss found that I’d created all these templates to save time. He found that he could use them and that there was no need for a full time secretary anymore. Lucky for me he didn’t want to fire me so he got me to make templates and automated forms for the rest of the company.

Before I worked here as his secretary I was an administrator and before that I was a hairdresser.

scott-atkinson

I'm with the Witch.......
Local time
I have the grand title of

Operations Development Manager - Continuous Improvement :eek:

I basically look at improving the processes of my company via automation

Big Title - Little Job :)

FluffyKitten

Jumble Bunny
Local time
lol, so what did you do before that? Am i the only person whose not a proper it person?

oumahexi

Free Range Witch
Local time
lol, so what did you do before that? Am i the only person whose not a proper it person?

Don't you mean It Girl? :D

I also worked my way up through the ranks from young hag to old hag, and have pretty much done whatever it takes to put food on the table, including, but not exclusively, working in the Information Technology industry ;)

Alc

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 08:19

In order:
  • UK
    • Worked in a pet shop
    • Worked in a DIY/Hardware shop
    • Worked for MFI (one day)
    • Worked in a jewellers
    • Managed a Pet shop
    • Was Father Christmas at a branch of Children's World
    • Managed a gift/electronics shop
    • Did IT work for two oil companies and a bank
  • Canada
    • 'Temped' at an employment agency
    • 'Temped' at a car parts manufacturer
    • 'Temped' at a bank
    • Currently: MIS Information Development, Reporting and Marketing Manager at the same bank.
Don't think of myself as a 'proper IT person' but I guess I must have learned something.:D

FluffyKitten

Jumble Bunny
Local time
Wow Alc that makes me feel better. so theres hope for me yet then.

Lightwave

Ad astra
Local time
Planning Officer Local Govt

I've designed a few databases people leave me to get on with my work and I kind of take on things that I find interesting.
Got into Access like everyone else to make my life easier and through frustration at the limitations for Excel for truly complicated data.

Background in Accountancy so my main responsibility at the moment is tracking Housing Developer contributions.

Not sure that I believe in the principle of what is a land tax but I don't get to make that choice!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom