keeping track of a fraction of a part (1 Viewer)

MillerTime

Local time
Today, 12:03
I'm building a production database, and the best example I have is that we need to have key stock placed on our engine we only need 1 3/4" worth per build but Fastenal supplies key stock at the shortest in in 12". We will receive the foot long stock, then cut it to length ourselves. So in reality we only need (1.75/12)=0.146 of the stock per build. Another example is we use reflector tape on our product, we receive a large roll of it, then only use a small percentage on a single build. I'm just not sure how I want keep track of items like this.

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Today, 16:03
You need a common denominator. From what you've said, I would think that a quarter of an inch would be the best bet.

1ft = 48 1/4 inches.

From your stock of 12'" or 48 parts of a foot, each build requires 7 parts of a foot.

plog

Banishment Pending
Local time
Today, 11:03
I'm just not sure how I want keep track of items like this.

Absolutely right, so I don't really know how we can help. Perhaps I can ask questions to get you there:

Why do you need to keep track of it in the first place? Inventory control? To know when you are getting short? To know how to price a product it goes into?

How specifically do you need to track pieces? Do you just need to know that a piece of tape from Roll 457 went to Product 12? Or do you need to know that inches 4.5-7.25 of Roll 162 went into Product 371?

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
BTW, you might need to account for the waste, the thickness of metal lost when you make the cut. This could amount to a reasonable loss.

Say a cut is 1/8th of an inch, 7 cuts, loss of 7/8ths from each foot of stock.

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Oh! And you will only get 6 parts from a foot and a remainder which is a loss as well...

So you might be better off buying longer stock, it would reduce your waste.

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I'm just not sure how I want keep track of items like this.
I suspect don't - you buy 12", you use 1 3/4" - what real world value is the remainder? what are the real prospects that it can be used elsewhere? what if someone cuts 2" by mistake? then cuts in back down? Or worse, cuts 1 1/4" then has to cut a new piece?

really need to know more about the business, but I suspect either charge for 12" or write off the difference as waste. If you can use it at some point in the future, write it back.

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 12:03
How do you handle these items as inventory now? What is the issue(s) that this database will support/resolve? How to set up these items for inventory control should be determined and confirmed before designing your database.
If you need key stock in a different length, have you considered other suppliers? As Tony mentioned, when you cut a length from your key stock, the width of the cut(s) has to be considered.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom