Killer App for ChatGPT (1 Viewer)

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Today, 22:52
If someone could write an AI app that could handle getting through to customer service / complaints on the phone, avoiding the tedious on hold music. I'd love such an App!

JonXL

Local time
Today, 16:52
You're assuming there's actually something on the other side of all that hold music.

What if there isn't?

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
What if infinitely scalable AI customer service gave you instant response and was better and more knowledgeable than any human could ever be?

JonXL

Local time
Would the AI eventually realize it has an easier time helping other AIs than dumb humans and just stop helping humans get even basic necessities?

Lightwave

Ad astra
Local time
What if infinitely scalable AI customer service gave you instant response and was better and more knowledgeable than any human could ever be?
I really think that's only a couple of years away. Also lawyers are out the window they are so slow to respond and half the time they only say what you want to hear.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
There are already AI bots for lawyers out there:

They all say these systems will not replace jobs, they just make the job easier. Well, that is complete BS. Of course they will replace jobs! Making a job easier means it is faster to do. Less man hours required.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Today, 14:52
You're assuming there's actually something on the other side of all that hold music.

What if there isn't?

:LOL::LOL:

In many cases I wouldn't know, as I often give up. They call my bluff by putting me on hold for 20 minutes, and they're right....I hang up to save us all any further trouble.

I always tell my kids, you can tell a lot about a company based on the type of people that staff customer service.
I'm not going to go into too many details, but let's just say a certain type of person staffs customer service at, say ... Capital One, or Verizon, or Cricket.
A TOTALLY different type of person - Professional, empathetic, polite, representing the firm, able to speak in regular sentences and provide proper responses, transitions, terms, explanations, apologies, etc.......answer the phone at Discover and American Express. I tell my kids, if you must use a cc, use Amex or Discover!

Bazilo

Local time
Tomorrow, 00:52
:LOL::LOL:

In many cases I wouldn't know, as I often give up. They call my bluff by putting me on hold for 20 minutes, and they're right....I hang up to save us all any further trouble.

I always tell my kids, you can tell a lot about a company based on the type of people that staff customer service.
I'm not going to go into too many details, but let's just say a certain type of person staffs customer service at, say ... Capital One, or Verizon, or Cricket.
A TOTALLY different type of person - Professional, empathetic, polite, representing the firm, able to speak in regular sentences and provide proper responses, transitions, terms, explanations, apologies, etc.......answer the phone at Discover and American Express. I tell my kids, if you must use a cc, use Amex or Discover!
That's an interesting point by the way, I hadn't even thought of it that way. Thanks for elaborating on that.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 17:52
I tell my kids, if you must use a cc, use Amex or Discover!
I'm a huge Amex fan. Back in 1973 when my husband and I divorced, I ended up with no credit card and the usual suspects would not issue one to me in my own name. This was still a time when women were treated differently than men. Doesn't matter that I had 8 years of work history, stable employment, stable address, etc. I was the wrong gender. So I applied for an American Express card and they gave it to me with an essentially unlimited credit limit because I had no negative credit history. After that MC and Visa and the rest were my good buddies and were anxious to give me credit. A few years later, I ended up in Phoenix on a consulting assignment with AMEX where I developed an application that scored the "take one's" which were the application forms that were proximately displayed next to the cash register at every business that accepted the AMEX card. So, my app decided whether or not YOU would qualify for an AMEX card:) Small world;)

I still have that card. I use it for all travel expenses because they have such great customer support if you are out of the country. It is the only card I have that has "perks". All the others are no annual fee cards. So, I also use it whenever I want to purchase something expensive like furniture, dental work, my daughter's wedding reception, a car rental, even a car. Although the car dealer would only let me charge the 25% down payment. AMEX would have let me charge the whole price. So, I paid the balance with a cashiers check when I picked up the car. I always give the retailer the option of a cash discount. Most say no so they get to pay AMEX 4% or possibly more now. The big ticket items are used to buy miles for air travel.

Last edited:

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Interesting, Pat. I'm an AMEX holder since 1976. I graduated with my PhD in December, 1975 and started working that same month. It took me a little time to set up my banking differently (because I was no longer dependent on my parents, had to take them off my accounts.) Once I got that done, the credit card was next and AMEX was the first one. I can't say it was a bad situation either. I've never regretted it.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 17:52
I've been a member since '73. A few months ago they sent me a 50 year anniversary gift. It was a very nice throw which matched my daughter's couch perfectly so guess who is using it.

I got my first job when I was a Junior in high school working for Sears one evening a week and Saturdays. My second year there when I was 18 they gave me a revolving credit card so I could buy a sewing machine and pay over time. I paid it off in six months and after that normally paid the card off every month if I used it except some years for Christmas. When I got married 3 years later and went to change my name, they wanted to revoke my credit card because apparently, once I got married I had become a credit risk despite 3 years of history with no problems. I called the store I worked at and the credit manager was still there so he fixed the problem but that was the kind of treatment that pushed the women's movement. While I was married to the sperm donor (that's what my daughter calls her birth father because she called my second husband Daddy since he raised her), we had a joint credit card but that didn't matter to MC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom