Kiwi's World Champs! (1 Viewer)

Lister

Z Shift
Local time
Today, 14:26
TOTALY overjoyed. New Zealand rugby league team, the "The Kiwi's" take on an beat Australia at home to win the world championship 34 - 20.
This is massive, the wizard's of Oz should beat us just about every time with the depth of talent they have.
So well done boys!

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=10544601

Last edited:

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Today, 03:26
TOTALY overjoyed. New Zealand rugby league the "The Kiwi's" take on an bead Australia at home to win the world championship 34 - 20.
This is massive, the wizard's of Oz should beat us just about every time with the depth of talent they have.
So well done boys!

Er, does anyone else care?

Col

Lister

Z Shift
Local time
Do you mean "anyone else" as in the world. Or small minded, football playing, easy take down by Portugal, gay mothers boys, who are all to busy taking part in prenatally shoot outs after 100min of the most mind numbing excuse of a game ever created.

If the first, yes, it's a big deal, we have never won the world cup.

If you mean the second, then no, probably not. They are way to busy working out where a 1 all draw will get them after they work the points back on aggregate and it if was a home game or away or zzzzZZZZzzzzZZZZzzzz.....

Anyway, good on ya Col', nice to see you don't change. As is written "Blessed is the mind to small for doubt" 'eh :D

statsman

Local time
Yesterday, 22:26
With the long history of Rugby in NZ and with the percentage of the population (male and female) who play the game, a Kiwi world championship should not come as that big a suprize. A pleasant one I will grant you.
A Kiwi friend once told me that missionaries introduced the game so that the Moari factions would have a method other that outright warfare in which to settle their differences.
Now if one of we lesser countries (where Rugby is a second-tier sport) should win one day, THAT would be a suprize.
Although many Canadians play the game and we have made the World Cup on every occasion it has been played, we along with Tonga, Japan and a number of other nations are simply "Cannon fodder" for the big rugby powers.
Mind you, we did beat Wales once.

David Eagar

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 12:26

David Eagar

Registered User.
Local time
Although many Canadians play the game and we have made the World Cup on every occasion it has been played, we along with Tonga, Japan and a number of other nations are simply "Cannon fodder" for the big rugby powers.
Mind you, we did beat Wales once.

Take hope, Argentina at the last world cup showed anything is possible, they didn't win, but they gave it a mighty big shake, much like Turkey at the last football world cup

dan-cat

Registered User.
Local time
I'd support NZ anytime simply because of that cool dance they do before the game. Great for the spectator not so great for the opposition :p

Kiwiman

Local time
Howzit

Fantastic result for the boyz. Every now and then the lads really turn it on and beat the aussies. It doesn't happen often but when it does... What a result!!!

David Eagar

Registered User.
Local time
I'd support NZ anytime simply because of that cool dance they do before the game. Great for the spectator not so great for the opposition :p

Describing the haka as a dance - you're a brave man!!

I can remember when I was living in NZ and there was a land rights protest going on (Bastion Point) and about a thousand maoris were lined up against the police. If you think the sports teams look ferocious, these guys were doing it for real!!

The police sensibly withdrew

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Describing the haka as a dance - you're a brave man!!

It is a girly dance and they look totally ridiculous doing it. Poking their tongues out like school children, how ferocious is that? They look like a bunch of poofs.

Col

Lister

Z Shift
Local time
Well you'd know poofs wouldn't ya Col' :rolleyes:

The Haka is a challenge, it shows the will to overcome, to show that we ain't mucking around, it's part of being a New Zealander.

This is the Maori battalion - Egypt 1941.

All I can say is that you have to stand five feet away from a Haka to feel the full impact of it.
And all in all, even if you think is a "silly little dance" done by a bunch of uncivilised hicks from the bottom of the south pacific, it's nice that most respect it and stand to face it.

Kiwiman

Local time
Well you'd know poofs wouldn't ya Col' :rolleyes:

The Haka is a challenge, it shows the will to overcome, to show that we ain't mucking around, it's part of being a New Zealander.

All I can say is that you have to stand five feet away from a Haka to feel the full impact of it.
And all in all, even if you think is a "silly little dance" done by a bunch of uncivilised hicks from the bottom of the south pacific, it's nice that most respect it and stand to face it.

Well said Lister - nothing showed that more than the Welsh on Saturday. I didn't think that game would ever start.

Rich

Registered User.
Local time
Well said Lister - nothing showed that more than the Welsh on Saturday. I didn't think that game would ever start.

Just waiting for the Welsh to break into song, that would have scared the pants off anybody

Rabbie

Super Moderator
Local time
Take hope, Argentina at the last world cup showed anything is possible, they didn't win, but they gave it a mighty big shake, much like Turkey at the last football world cup
Argentina are actually 4th in the world rankings at present.

Lister

Z Shift
Local time
Even though somehow we have moved from League to union, there is a big push here to try and get Argentina into the Tri-Nations competition. I think it would be good for all if they came in, at the moment most of their players are amateurs, by getting them in it would mean they could build up their base of professional players. Be great for the game.

And just so you know, the Kiwi League team in back in the country. It's put a very good feeling through the population, which is needed with all the doom and gloom of the current economic climate.

David Eagar

Registered User.
Local time
I would have thought a Polynesian team would make more sense, but us pakehas don't like playing against them (their a bit too good!) and that's why they haven't done it up to now.

Certainly both Samoa & Fiji have proved their abilities over the years and deserve better treatment by the powers that be

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Lister said:
Well you'd know poofs wouldn't ya Col'

I'll ask again. Would you care to clarify that remark please?

Col

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom