KVM advice (1 Viewer)

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Today, 08:27
Good morning everyone!

As you can see from my setup, I have two PCs. The little tan colored box between the two monitors allows me to have a dual monitor setup.

When I switch PCs, I have to unplug the box (USB) and Mouse/Keyboard dongle from one PC and into the other.

I am looking for a practical way to switch between the two PCs without having to unplug anything.

Any and all advice welcome and I thank you in advance!
Desk.jpg

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Today, 13:27
John,
You can buy a simple two lead KVM switch.
I have used a Belkin 4 way for a good few years now, but it is ps2 as it is that old.? :)

That last one I got for a friend was also a good while back and that was quite small.
Something like this one https://www.ebuyer.com/1124039-aten-cs22d-at-2-port-usb-dvi-kvm-switch-cs22d-at but half that price?

These ones do look more like mine.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=kvm+switch+usb&crid=Q945RBX6H4JV&sprefix=kvm+switch,aps,501&ref=nb_sb_ss_ts-a-p_6_10

HTH

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Thanks Paul, I had seen the same unit but was unsure if it would suffice or if it was too much.

Really appreciate the prompt response!

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
When I bought mine, it was just the switch. then I had to but 4 sets of leads. :)

Little easier these days. I actually had to get a new ps2 mouse as my faithful packed up after all these years. They are getting expensive compared to USB mice. :)

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Obviously make sure you have the correct display port for whatever you get.
Mine is still VGA, that Aten is DVI? and I've just noticed that most of those amazon ones do not have display?, which might not bother you as you are doing that already?

This looks like the one I got for my friend, price the same area.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Aten-CS22U...611159641&s=computers&sr=1-13&ts_id=430437031

Here is a HDMI version that appears to have one USB lead for Kbd and Mouse?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/GREATHTEK-...1611159773&sprefix=kvm+switch,aps,501&sr=8-15

Last edited:

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
I haven't used this one but it has a lot of good reviews

These days I use a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse that have inbuilt switching for up to three devices;

They aren't cheap, but both are nice high-quality devices and seem to have excellent battery life.
As they are pretty much the main tools of my trade I have no issue paying for the quality.

Last edited:

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
I actually use a Logitech wireless KBD Mouse set up on my laptop.

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time

Almost a year later and I am re-visiting this thread. I am not sure what I ended up buying but it only lasted a month before it crapped out. Going to give this one a try and I will let you all know how it fares!

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
I have a 4 port belkin, but it is so old, it is ps2 :)

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
So you said... You need to get out more!
Not really. I have an I7 12GB laptop connected to it via a USB to PS2 adapter. I have an i7 desktop with 16GB with a single PS2 to double PS2 adapter. When I bought it, all you got was the box, the leads came extra. :)
It does what it needs to do, and from the keyboard as well, just two taps of scroll lock and a number 1 to 4. :)

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
So...I received this item over the weekend but I have a strict rule about working on the weekends so I have to simmer until this morning. Works like a charm - except - I failed to take note that this was to share ONE monitor. Fortunately, I had an 2 HDMI to 1 USB splitter so I am up and running.

There is a slight delay and I can almost hear the hamsters churning but other than that, $20 well spent!

Inked20211213_091530_LI.jpg

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
I use Anydesk to support my sister, but would take a hardware solution over a software one every time? providing I could afford it.

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
So...I received this item over the weekend but I have a strict rule about working on the weekends so I have to simmer until this morning. Works like a charm - except - I failed to take note that this was to share ONE monitor. Fortunately, I had an 2 HDMI to 1 USB splitter so I am up and running.

There is a slight delay and I can almost hear the hamsters churning but other than that, $20 well spent!

View attachment 96766

So here we are over 2 years later and it is still chugging along. The headphones sometimes have to be disconnected and plugged back in, but other than that, it works as advertised. Good call Minty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom