Limitations of using Access with multiple users on Intranet (1 Viewer)

Guy_Philly

Local time
Today, 19:17
Hi,

I would like to use an Access database over an Intranet. What are the limitations of doing this? I want multiple individuals to be able to open forms and enter data. I would also want others to be able to run queries and reports on the database. Would I need to upsize to an Oracle database to run with multiple users? Any words of wisdom would be appreciated.

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
Today, 18:17
Oracle is obviously a better choice for multple users, but you can accomplish it in Access depending on the size and number of users.

If you decide to use Access, it would be wise to use a Front End/Back End approach, where all data is stored in the back end and the front end is run from the user's own machine, accessing the back end via linked tables for reports, data input, etc... I've done this with a database of less than 500 mbs and about 20 users per day with no problems.

Guy_Philly

Local time
Today, 19:17
request for info implementing "Front end/back end"

Thanks for your feedback. Can you give me a little more information about how to implement a "Front end/back end approach"? If you know of a good resource that I can get that explains this, that would be good too.

Thanks again,
Bruce

Vassago said:
Oracle is obviously a better choice for multple users, but you can accomplish it in Access depending on the size and number of users.

If you decide to use Access, it would be wise to use a Front End/Back End approach, where all data is stored in the back end and the front end is run from the user's own machine, accessing the back end via linked tables for reports, data input, etc... I've done this with a database of less than 500 mbs and about 20 users per day with no problems.

neileg

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 23:17
Access supports linking to other datafiles. In an FE/BE setup, the BE holds the data and the FE holds the user interface (forms, reports, queries) and these two files are linked.

There is a database splitter wizard, but once you see the setup, you will realise you can do this yourself.

I would point out, however, that this relates to housing the application on a network, rather than an intranet.

RuralGuy

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 16:17
I haven't tried it yet but even at T1 speeds I think you will be *very* disappointed in the performance. You will probably need to look into something like ASP to get some reasonable performance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom