Solved Line break in email (1 Viewer)

allen675

Local time
Today, 00:57
Hello fellow Forum'ers

I have been trying for hours now pulling my hair out trying to understand why my code will not put a line break in my email. In basic terms I have a table which contains a field with the body for an email which can be amended by the end user through a form. It enables the end user to personalise the bulk of their messages rather than me programming a set message. With a click of a button on a form an email is sent to that customer. I have DLOOKUP successfully pulling through the email body, HOWEVER I cant get the bugger to put a line break between "Dear X" and "I have tried......"

This is my code, please help!

Code:
Private Sub Command16_Click()

Dim MsgBody As String
Dim Msg As String

MsgBody = DLookup("AutomatedMessageEmail", "AutomatedMessageT", "AutomatedMessageID=1")

Msg = "Dear " & Client_FN & ", <p>" & MsgBody

Dim O As Outlook.Application
Dim M As Outlook.MailItem

Set O = New Outlook.Application
Set M = O.CreateItem(olMailItem)

With M
    .BodyFormat = olFormatHTML
    .To = Email_Address
    .BCC = "test@test.com"
    .Subject = "Mortgage Enquiry"
    .Display
    .HTMLBody = Msg & .HTMLBody
End With

Set M = Nothing
Set O = Nothing

End Sub

strive4peace

AWF VIP
Local time
Yesterday, 18:57
hi @allen675

to add a line BReak using HTML, use
Code:
<BR>
or you can also use
Code:
<BR />
to indicate there is no closing tag.

Use 2 <BR /> if you want 2 blank lines. Case doesn't matter, so you can also use <br /><br /> or <br><br>

<p> could do it too -- but the paragraph tag is like parentheses -- need beginning and ending tag. For instance:
Code:
Msg = "<p>Dear " & Client_FN & ", </p>" & MsgBody

Last edited:

strive4peace

AWF VIP
Local time
pps, @allen675

assign HTMLBody before Display ;)
EDIT: maybe not ... if you wait, adds signature!

and if you're creating a new email, would there already be an HTMLBody ?? I'm assuming not ... but perhaps there's a template kicking in?

Last edited:

allen675

Local time
hi @allen675

to add a line BReak using HTML, use
Code:
<BR>
or you can also use
Code:
<BR />
to indicate there is no closing tag.

Use 2 <BR /> if you want 2 blank lines. Case doesn't matter, so you can also use <br /><br /> or <br><br>

<p> could do it too -- but the paragraph tag is like parentheses -- need closing and ending tag. For instance:
Code:
Msg = "<p>Dear " & Client_FN & ", </p>" & MsgBody
striver peace,

You are a diamond, thank you, worked a treat.

Bit of a learning curve, I've not used VBA for years throw in a bit of HTML just for good measure and it had me stumped 😂

Anyhow one again thank you for your help and quick response 👍

I may very well be back!

allen675

Local time
pps, @allen675

assign HTMLBody before Display ;)

and if you're creating a new email, would there already be an HTMLBody ?? I'm assuming not ... but perhaps there's a template kicking in?
Do you mean this
Code:
.HTMLBody = Msg & .HTMLBody

I had a signature that wasn't being picked up so I added the .HTMLBody on the end.

Would moving this piece of code ahead of display and removing . HTMLBody from the end pick up the signature?

strive4peace

AWF VIP
Local time
you're welcome, @allen675 ~ happy to help

actually, this required HTML, not VBA knowledge -- lucky to know both ;)

... and, by the way, Access can link to local Outlook mailboxes ... much better way to find things in your email (smile)

strive4peace

AWF VIP
Local time
hi @allen675

> Would moving this piece of code ahead of display and removing . HTMLBody from the end pick up the signature?

good question -- I actually don't know ... I would think that siggy would be a different object. Question: Does it WORK to assign the body after the display?

Last edited:

allen675

Local time
you're welcome, @allen675 ~ happy to help

actually, this required HTML, not VBA knowledge -- lucky to know both ;)

... and, by the way, Access can link to local Outlook mailboxes ... much better way to find things in your email (smil
hi @allen675

> Would moving this piece of code ahead of display and removing . HTMLBody from the end pick up the signature?

good question -- I actually don't know ... I would think that siggy would be a different object. Does it WORK to assign the body after the display?
Not tried it before . Display so can't really comment. What I can say is that previously I had it as .HTMLBody = Msg and no signature was being added!?

strive4peace

AWF VIP
Local time
hi @allen675

let me know when you test ... could be different code is needed to add the signature ... good idea though!

strive4peace

AWF VIP
Local time
ps, David, this statement:

requires early binding, which means the correct version of the Outlook library must be referenced. If you're writing code to use in any version and want to use late binding instead, you can use

Rich (BB code):
dim O as Object   'Outlook.Application
Set O = CreateObject("Outlook.Application")

Outlook can't have more than one instance running, so CreateObject actually does a GetObject if it's already open

you would also change:
to
Rich (BB code):
Dim M As object   'Outlook.MailItem

and
to
Rich (BB code):
Set M = O.CreateItem(0)  '0=olMailItem

and then, finally the olFormatHTML constant that is used in code would also need to be defined:

Rich (BB code):
 .BodyFormat = 2  'olFormatHTML

Last edited:

allen675

Local time
ps, David, this statement:

requires early binding, which means the correct version of the Outlook library must be referenced. If you're writing code to use in any version and want to use late binding instead, you can use

Rich (BB code):
dim O as Object   'Outlook.Application
Set O = CreateObject("Outlook.Application")

Outlook can't have more than one instance running, so CreateObject actually does a GetObject if it's already open

you would also change:
to
Rich (BB code):
Dim M As object   'Outlook.MailItem

and
to
Rich (BB code):
Set M = O.CreateItem(0)  '0=olMailItem

and then, finally the olFormatHTML constant that is used in code would also need to be defined:

Rich (BB code):
 .BodyFormat = 2  'olFormatHTML
Updated my code with your suggestions, thank you 👍

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom