link tables remote (1 Viewer)

kitty77

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 06:40
I'm trying to link my tables to a remote location. I'm able to map a drive but link manager but link table manager gives me an error.
Not a valid file name. Not sure what I'm doing wrong or if this is possible.

Any ideas?

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 03:40
Hi. Is the remote location connected via a LAN or a WAN?

kitty77

Registered User.
Local time
LAN

kitty77

Registered User.
Local time
Other users? I'm trying to connect to the database at the office from my home. I downloaded the FE and trying to relink the tables to a mapped drive.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 03:40
Other users? I'm trying to connect to the database at the office from my home. I downloaded the FE and trying to relink the tables to a mapped drive.
Ah, okay. Then the question then becomes, is your home office connected to the same LAN? If not, is the machine with the SQL Server connected to the Internet and allows external connections?

kitty77

Registered User.
Local time
I have a NAS that does the connection and allow me to map a drive via WEBDAV. So, I can map no problem, just can't get access to link.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 05:40
The problem I see when I look up WEBDAV is that it is primarily an HTTP/HTTPS setup for file sharing. WEBDAV is based on RFC 4918 which is an extension of HTTP. I don't think you will be able to use that connection for Access because it just doesn't work that way.

Windows will allow you to map a drive if you can see it because it allows for the possibility of web-based protocols and FTP variants. Access on the other hand wants to use the drive in a very specific way that does not use HTTP or FTP variants. Access very specifically requires the ability to initiate Server Message Block (SMB) protocol between front end and back end. If you cannot do that, you cannot map a table in Access.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom