Link to specific object in QuickAccess toolbar (1 Viewer)

BiigJiim

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 13:40
Hi,

Is there any way to add a command to the QAT to open a specific form or table within your database?

(Another useful feature which used to be easy in older versions of Access which some brilliant mind at Microsoft decided to remove!)

Cheers,
Jim

namliam

The Mailman - AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 14:40
In file > Options you can tell your database to start a specific form, even display a specific Icon if you like.

Feature wasnt removed, just moved which in itself is a major headache!

BiigJiim

Registered User.
Local time
In file > Options you can tell your database to start a specific form, even display a specific Icon if you like.

Feature wasnt removed, just moved which in itself is a major headache!

Thanks for the reply, but this is a totally separate thing. I am developing a db with a large number of objects and am recording version changes in a table. As i am opening this table regularly, it would be useful to have a button on the QuickAccess toolbar to open it directly, rather than using the Nav Pane each time. You used to be able to do this in old versions of access

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 09:40
I fully agree; adding buttons and menus to menus and commandbars, even creating your own entirely used to be so much easier. Maybe not as pretty, but much easier. You need to research how to customize the ribbon; perhaps add your own group and button rather than add a button to a group. It can be fun and challenging but it's not something I'd say you just quickly describe here.
EDIT - just recalled you want to put this in the qat? Then it's entirely done via code where you create a commandbar and add objects to it. IIRC, then whatever you create on the fly will only show up there, not on the ribbon itself, and I you have to show it as an add-in.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 06:40
Thanks for the reply, but this is a totally separate thing. I am developing a db with a large number of objects and am recording version changes in a table. As i am opening this table regularly, it would be useful to have a button on the QuickAccess toolbar to open it directly, rather than using the Nav Pane each time. You used to be able to do this in old versions of access
Hi. You could try creating a custom ribbon or modify the QAT using XML. Will that work for you?

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 09:40
Maybe I have my terminology wrong. I thought qat meant quick access toolbar; the thing that you show above or below the ribbon...

namliam

The Mailman - AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 14:40
You can make a macro to open your table or form with the proper settings

Then activate the macro from the tool bar?

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Another possible approach would be to create an autokeys macro to add a keyboard shortcut (e.g. Ctrl+Shift+T which opens your table.
The advantage of that is the shortcut is available to all who need use it without having to be visible to all users in the QAT and it also requires no code

HiTechCoach

Local time
Today, 08:40
Another possible approach would be to create an autokeys macro to add a keyboard shortcut (e.g. Ctrl+Shift+T which opens your table.
The advantage of that is the shortcut is available to all who need use it without having to be visible to all users in the QAT and it also requires no code

DITTO. (y)

I use this method and would recommend it since it works in all versions of Access. Fast to set up and copy between databases.

I find the QAT is best used for things that are not specific to a database., but only Access functionality that applies to any open database.

FWIW: I do something similar. I have made my own custom database container window (similar to Access 2003 and older) that I use to open objects in design mode. It auto logs the action (object name, database version, etc.) with a place to add a comment.

strive4peace

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 08:40
hi Jim,

When you customize the QAT, it can be for a specific database instead of being for Access in general. If you assign a QAT icon to run a macro that opens an object, that is exactly what you'd want to do.

I love the QAT! In fact, my video tutorial about it is what brought me here ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom