Linked Tables or Not Linked (1 Viewer)

Learn2010

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 08:45
I have several linked tables in a database. They are linked to two other databases. I am sure you guys can answer this. Is it more efficient to use linked tables for queries or is it better to use the Append To Another Database? I am trying to speed up the queries.

What do you think?

Thank you.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 05:45
Hi. In a typical database setup, the data is stored externally to the query (and forms), so not sure how one could consider storing a copy of a table locally for use in a query. If it's a select query, maybe. Otherwise, it may not make much sense to do it.

Learn2010

Registered User.
Local time
I have a SQL backend. I have a database that the team takes with them out in the field. When I open the main database it reloads that database. Also, if they make certain changes to records in the main, it updates the field DB.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 12:45
When you say the database is taken out in the field, are they using a wired connection or wireless?
Do users have the FE on the field workstation or do they remote connect to the network?

Learn2010

Registered User.
Local time
The one in the field is a stand-alone version. The main DB loads it up with data. They go out, meet with a client, collect information, return to the office, and upload it into the main.

Last edited:

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 12:45
Perfect!
So are your queries making full use of the local copy of the SQL backend...or are these local copies of the tables in the FE?

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Since the field copy is recreated each time, it would probably be just as easy to make the tables local when you create the travelling copy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom