list of DLL calls that can be made (1 Viewer)

neuroman9999

Local time
Today, 15:39
does anyone know where I can get a hold of them, and their proposed purposes? see attached file. I got a hold of this info more than a decade ago but I have no idea how or where I got it. does anyone have any more detailed info than this?

Attachments

• dll_listings.zip
    63 KB · Views: 80

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Looking at it, I realized that I have seen something similar in another operating system.

I think this came from a library control program such as one might find in a development package that can be used to build compiled programs and that can merge or combine multiple modules into .DLL files. One of the functions of this putative utility program would be to "dump" the module interface information associated with each entry point in the .DLL file. In the OTHER operating system, you would have used:

>LIBR X.DLL /LIST=filespec /GLOBAL /ALL

That command would have produced a comma-delimited list of all global entry points (call spots) in file X.DLL, a list file that you could have then imported to EXCEL or ACCESS as though it were a .CSV file.

Unfortunately I cannot tell you which library program would have created that list for you. I know it was not the one I used in that other O/S but I believe it was something similar to the OpenVMS LIBRARIAN program.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
A global entry point is essentially the name of a subroutine or function that you can call. Simple case in point: Suppose you have the standard VBA library, which is a .DLL file. That file contains the code for various functions such as INSTR() or SQRT() or LEFT() - or any other VBA functions you might wish to call from a VBA routine. If you have the Windows Scripting runtime library, it will contain the functions involving the File System Object, such as DIR() and MOVEFILE and other code.

The files I named would have entry points such as INSTR or SQRT or LEFT or DIR or MOVEFILE, because you call those functions by those names. Those are the global entry points.

The term "entry point" refers to the fact that you cannot see everything inside the .DLL file because it is hidden, very similar to class objects. You can only see the things that the file's author allows you to see. Entry points are among the things defined for global access. The "Global" part is because when building programs that use libraries, it is not at all rare to see the image-builder look through a list of libraries to match global entry points from the libraries to external routine references from the program being built.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom