Looking for direction (1 Viewer)

IAmNotABot

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 11:30
I wanted to start off by saying that all of the Access knowledge I have, is from this past week, from researching, watching tutorials, and trying a little hands on.

I have downloaded and installed, SQL 08, Access 07, and Visual Studio 2010 Express. Three different computers will need access to this information. All of them are running Win 7, with at least 6GB RAM and minimum 300-325GB HD free space. A desktop with multiple screens will be the primary computer that I use, but need the information on 2 laptops for backup and when the weather is too nice to stay indoors :)

This is what I am wanting to accomplish: I have an excel file that I will be importing information from (hoping that I can modify just the excel file and opening Access would refresh it ?!?) with 8-9 categories. This is equipment in which I want to print a report that would only include one piece, along with the rest of the information pertaining to it. I would prefer a "front" page that I could select the equipment from a drop down list, click next, and a different page will come up with the other information, ready to print.

Is Access the best application to do this, or is there something else? Currently, there are about 50-55 pieces of equipment, but will expand easily to the 350-400 range by the end of the year. Once I started seeing this expansion, I knew I could not do it in excel for much longer.

I have spare computers (circa 1999-2007) that I am taking apart, testing, and donating to different local charities. When complete, there is a spec sheet that is printed and attached to it. I used to print that from the computer itself, after the updates have been verified. I worked out a more effective way of doing the hardware, and it eliminated about 80% of conflicts, but want to print from a different computer. I had considered an invoice type of database, but it did not work out.

I will be able to provide more details, including prelim drawings, in the near future.

Thank you in advance for any assistance.

DavidAtWork

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 17:30
It is possible to use Access to achieve what you want as you can have a table linked to an Excel worksheet so when you add or edit rows in the worksheet, it will be seen in the Access table.
In simple terms it sounds like you only need one form in Access that is running off the said table with a drop down list (combo box) driven by a a query which is a groupby on your equipment types. Having made a selection, you could run a report based on a query with your equipment selection as the criteria

David

IAmNotABot

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 11:30
Thank you much for the response

I wanted to be able to have access linked to an excel file that is not on the local machine. I think I know how to do that, as the filename would just be modified to a web link, but curious-would that lock the excel file or would access make a local copy and use that?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom