Looking For Specific Table Of Data (1 Viewer)

shuff

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 05:44
Hello all,

Does anyone have, or can anyone point me to, tabled data of the Roman Catholic liturgical calendar for Cycles A, B, and C? I found the table online in .pdf format, but I haven't been successful in getting that into an Excel spreadsheet. I am attaching the .pdf table here - if I could find this same information as tabled data, that's what I'm looking for.

I am building a music library database application for a local parish here in Chicago that needs to link calendar dates over time to the absolute reference from the liturgical calendar, e.g. "what were the calendar dates for the last three years for the Sixth Sunday in Ordinary Time?" Worst case, I could just manually enter the stuff in the attached .pdf file, but if I don't have to, I'd rather not! Thanks in advance for any leads- SLH

Attachments

• Table-of-Sundays.pdf
    44.5 KB · Views: 111

MrQ

Registered User.
Local time
Don't know if you're still looking but I'd save the .pdf as text then format and import it.

Q :)

shuff

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks for the suggestion - I was so busy trying to export .pdf to .xls I never thought about going the text route! Unfortunately, when I tried that, the only column that comes over as readable is the descriptions of the Sundays. All the data columns with the dates come over as various ASCII garbage as shown below. I opened it in notepad, wordpad and word. Unless there is a way to convert this stuff, I think I'm screwed. -SLH

TABLE OF SUNDAYS YEAR C YEAR A YEAR B YEAR C YEAR A
2006 2007 2008 2009 2010
1st Sunday of Advent Romowlo| / Romowlo| . \ y Å owlo| /, \ y Å owlo| .5 \ y Å owlo| .4
2nd Sunday of Advent Romowlo| -, Romowlo| 5 Romowlo| 3 Romowlo| 2 Romowlo| 1
3rd Sunday of Advent Romowlo| -3 Romowlo| -2 Romowlo| -0 Romowlo| -/ Romowlo| ­.

shuff

Registered User.
Local time
Re:Looking for Specific Table of Data

Thanks for the suggestion - I was so busy trying to export .pdf to .xls I never thought about going the text route! Unfortunately, when I tried that, the only column that comes over as readable is the descriptions of the Sundays. All the data columns with the dates come over as various ASCII garbage as shown below. I opened it in notepad, wordpad and word. Unless there is a way to convert this stuff, I think I'm screwed. -SLH

TABLE OF SUNDAYS YEAR C YEAR A YEAR B YEAR C YEAR A
2006 2007 2008 2009 2010
1st Sunday of Advent Romowlo| / Romowlo| . \ y Å owlo| /, \ y Å owlo| .5 \ y Å owlo| .4
2nd Sunday of Advent Romowlo| -, Romowlo| 5 Romowlo| 3 Romowlo| 2 Romowlo| 1
3rd Sunday of Advent Romowlo| -3 Romowlo| -2 Romowlo| -0 Romowlo| -/ Romowlo| *.

Local time
Yesterday, 23:44
I did a google on some of the key words I saw in the pdf when you first posted this, and added the words algorithm and calculation. I followed the links and found ways to calculate various holidays. Seems most of the liturgical Sundays are calculated from either Easter or Christmas. I found words that described these calculations but didn't find actual "code". So I didn't bother with it any more.

I also remember a long time ago downloading a GNU program that calculated Easter. I had the source code for that calculation. Alas, that was 15 years ago and many computers ago.

If you dig deeper than I did (I have a rule about how long I'll spend on a post), you may be able to find something on the GNU site that does at least part of this. You'll also be able to find the relationship of each of the liturgical Sunday to the major holiday they are related to.

This would be a several day, or possibly even several week, project for me.

HTH. Not much else I can do for you.

raskew

AWF VIP
Local time
George -

Give this a try:

Code:
Public Function Easter2(theYear As Variant) As Date
'*******************************************
'Purpose:   Calculates Easter based on year
'source:    http://www.landfield.com/faqs/astronomy/faq/part3/section-11.html
'coded by:  raskew
'*******************************************

Dim c, H, g, DateHold, datestart, FM

datestart = DateValue("1/1/" & theYear)

g = (Year(datestart) Mod 19) + 1
    H = Int(Year(datestart) / 100)
    c = -H + Int(H / 4) + Int(8 * (H + 11) / 25)
    DateHold = DateSerial(Year(datestart), 4, 19)
    FM = DateHold - ((11 * g + c) Mod 30)
    FM = IIf(Month(FM) = 4 And Day(FM) = 19 And g >= 12, FM - 2, FM)
    FM = IIf(Month(FM) = 4 And Day(FM) = 19, FM - 1, FM)
    Easter2 = FM + 7 - WeekDay(FM) + 1

End Function

Bob

raskew

AWF VIP
Local time
Hi -

Thought this was an interesting exercise. Was able to save the Holiday portion to a Word file. Added a border, then copy/pasted to Excel. From there, was able to import it into Access.

Already had a lot of code re calculating Holidays, and several forms. Expanded the frmCalcEaster to include all of the holidays listed.

Please give it a try -- it's written in A97 but don't foresee any problems converting to a newer version.

Best wishes

Attachments

• litCalendar.zip
    170 KB · Views: 151
Local time
That's brilliant! I don't need it but I'm sure shuff will be all over himself thanking you when he sees it.

raskew

AWF VIP
Local time
Well George -

Seems as though shuff may have gone missing and may never see the application.

Oh well, it was still an interesting exercise.

Best wishes - Bob

Local time
Actually, I saved your app in case I need it one day (hope you put your copyright stuff in so I can give you due praise). You never know when something like this will be useful, even if it's just a party trick (for religious geeks).

shuff

Registered User.
Local time
Hi, Bob,

Heh heh... No, I haven't gone missing, just travelling on business for a couple of days and focused in other directions. The applet is awesome! I love that it renders dates far beyond the year 2010 shown in the .pdf file.

I am also really looking forward to walking around in your logic and seeing how you put this tool together. I don't think there are any two of us who use the same approach for any given task, and I love sharing with others how I do my stuff while learning from the examples of folks like yourself. It's why this forum is my go-to place whenever I'm stuck!

THANK YOU for the obvious effort and time you spent thinking about this and for sharing your applet with me and with the group. I appreciate it alot!

Travelling on business... maybe that IS tantamount to "going missing!" HAHA It's good to be home!

Scott

raskew

AWF VIP
Local time
Hi Scott -

Was worried about you. Glad you like the application -- the majority of my time was spent Googling on each of the holidays to determine how they're
computed.

Note that frmEasterCalc is not tied to a table, but rather uses a variety of
formulas to compute the various dates.

Make sure you look at frmHolidates, which is tied to tblHolidates. This is what you'd want to use if preparing reports. Note that by selecting a
different year, tblHolidates is rebuilt with dates from the selected year.
So long as you don't reopen frmHolidates (which defaults to the current
year), tblHolidates will remain as previously selected.

Best Wishes - Bob

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom