Lookup field based on parameter query (AC2007) (1 Viewer)

AOB

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 02:21
Hi guys,

I have a table into which a number of colleagues will be entering records manually (i.e. directly into datasheet view, not via any form interface)

I have a separate, static, table which lists, among other data, users and devices (one-to-many)

In the table to be updated, I have a similar user field and have set up the field to use a lookup against the distinct users on that list (so they can just click on the dropdown and select the appropriate user from the list, rather than manually key it each time)

In the same table, I then want the device field to provide a similar dropdown of devices listed against the user they have just selected (i.e. a shortlist specific to that user, rather than the full list of distinct devices in the whole static table)

Is it possible to do this? Can I create a parameter query which uses the selected user from the current record as the parameter to query the eligible devices for the dropdown?

(I know I can do this with a proper interface but I just need a quick and dirty method for a couple of us, this isn't something which will be used outside of ourselves!)

Thanks!

Al

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Today, 09:21
just create a criteria on the combobox's rowsource, something like:

select devid, devicename from table1 where userid = [forms]![yourform]![userid];

AOB

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 02:21
It's not a form though? It's the actual record in the datasheet view of the table itself?

I can do it with a form but I don't have time to construct a fancy interface

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom