Loop takes too much time to reach EOF (1 Viewer)

cpampas

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 00:29
Hello,
I have query that list all the posible sums of three numbers in a table. the table only has 70 records, but when i runs the query returns about 275000 records

'step 1 (the query that returns the 275000 records)
SELECT DISTINCT a.valor + b.valor + c.valor AS sum_of_3_numbers, a.valor AS aValue, b.valor AS bValue, c.valor AS cValue FROM tblSBNC_P AS a, tblSBNC_P AS b, tblSBNC_P AS c WHERE a.Punt = 0 AND b.Punt = 0 AND c.Punt = 0 AND a.ID <> b.ID AND a.ID <> c.ID AND b.ID <> c.ID

step 2
after this i do a loop where I try to match "sum_of_3_numbers" for an exact match with one record from another table. step 1 does not take long time to process but the loop does, it might hang for 5 minutes before it reaches the end of the recordset

Code:
Do While Not rsSums.EOF
    sumValueStr = rsSums!sum_of_3_numbers
    ' Replace the dots with commas to handle the number format correctly
    sumValueStr = Replace(sumValueStr, ",", ".")

' Open recordset for tblSCNB_P to find matching record for sumValue
    Set rsSCNB = db.OpenRecordset("SELECT * FROM tblSCNB_P WHERE valor = " & sumValueStr & " AND punt = 0", dbOpenDynaset)
    ' Check if a matching record is found for sumValue

If Not rsSCNB.EOF Then

aValue = rsSums!aValue
        bValue = rsSums!bValue
        cValue = rsSums!cValue
        ' Update cor field in tblSBNC_P for aValue, bValue, and cValue
        db.Execute "UPDATE tblSBNC_P SET cor =" & bc & " WHERE valor IN (" & Replace(aValue, ",", ".") & "," & Replace(bValue, ",", ".") & "," & Replace(cValue, ",", ".") & ")"
        ' Update cor field in tblSCNB_P for -sumValue
        db.Execute "UPDATE tblSCNB_P SET cor =" & bc & " WHERE valor = " & Replace(sumValueStr, ",", ".")

Exit Sub
    End If

rsSCNB.Close
        rsSums.MoveNext
    Loop

how can i reduce the time the code executes? another query instead of the loop? or is there a way to limit the amount of values the loop tries to match?

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Hi. Since your tables only have 70 records, are you able to post a sample copy of your db for testing?

cpampas

Registered User.
Local time
Hello, thanks for your reply
I did make a copy of the database. so I have 70 records in one table, and a few records in the other one. I this case a match is found in a few seconds , but that is because as soon as I get a match I exit the loop, but it could take much more depending on where in the recordset the sum of 3 records is. if you delete the matching records in tblSCNB_P, wich are 137,81 and 88,15, and then run the code it will take 3 or 4 minutes to complete the loop, if instead of 70 records I had 100 i suspect it would take half an hour

My regional setting are formatting decimal numbers with commas , i dont know if it will be compatible with your regional settings

Attachments

• cmatch.accdb
    656 KB · Views: 72

June7

AWF VIP
Local time
Yesterday, 23:29
Get that many records because query is a Cartesian product of 3 datasets. Every record of each set is associated with every record of each of the other sets. tblSBNC_P has 71 records: 71 x 71 x 71 = 357,911. Some records are excluded by the WHERE clause.

You open recordset of several hundred thousand records, loop that recordset to find a match in tblSCNB_P and if match is found, exit loop? Regardless if there might be other matches? I wonder if it would be faster to loop tblSCNB_P recordset and run FindFirst method on the big dataset.

I tested a query joining the big query to tblSCNB_P and got 126 records. Took about 6 seconds to run.
SELECT tblSCNB_P.ID, tblSCNB_P.valor, Query1.sum_of_3_numbers, Query1.aValue, Query1.bValue, Query1.cValue
FROM Query1 INNER JOIN tblSCNB_P ON Query1.sum_of_3_numbers = tblSCNB_P.valor;

Variable bc is declared as integer but does not get set so it is just 0. What purpose does it serve?

Last edited:

ebs17

Local time
Today, 09:29
First query: You identify too many variants. It should be better
SQL:
' qrySum
SELECT DISTINCT
   a.ID,
   a.valor + b.valor + c.valor AS sum_of_3_numbers,
   a.valor AS aValue,
   b.valor AS bValue,
   c.valor AS cValue
FROM
   tblSBNC_P AS a,
   tblSBNC_P AS b,
   tblSBNC_P AS c
WHERE
   a.Punt = 0
      AND
   b.Punt = 0
      AND
   c.Punt = 0
      AND
   a.valor < b.valor
      AND
   b.valor < c.valor
So a second query, no loop
SQL:
SELECT
   T.ID,
   T.valor,
   X.sum_of_3_numbers,
   X.aValue,
   X.bValue,
   X.cValue
FROM
   tblSBNC_P AS T
      INNER JOIN qrySum AS X
      ON T.valor = X.sum_of_3_numbers
WHERE
   T.Punt = 0
ORDER BY 

Last edited:

ebs17

Local time
Today, 09:29
The first query should run a little faster if you don't have reservations about subqueries and so filter the base tables first before applying the CROSS JOIN duplication.
SQL:
SELECT DISTINCT
   a.ID,
   a.valor + b.valor + c.valor AS sum_of_3_numbers,
   a.valor AS aValue,
   b.valor AS bValue,
   c.valor AS cValue
FROM
   (
      SELECT
         id,
         valor
      FROM
         tblSBNC_P
      WHERE
         Punt = 0
   ) AS a,
   (
      SELECT
         id,
         valor
      FROM
         tblSBNC_P
      WHERE
         Punt = 0
   ) AS b,
   (
      SELECT
         id,
         valor
      FROM
         tblSBNC_P
      WHERE
         Punt = 0
   ) AS c
WHERE
   a.valor < b.valor
      AND
   b.valor < c.valor
Setting an index on valor in both tables would also be helpful.

Last edited:

cpampas

Registered User.
Local time
thanks June and ebs, the way was definetly a query not a loop, your examples worked nicely

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom