Lost the "File" menu while working in the Code window (1 Viewer)

foxxrunning

Local time
Today, 09:07
While going over some code in the VBA for Applications Window I noticed that the File menu is missing. How do I turn the "File Edit View Insert Debug Run Tools Addins Debug Help" Ribbon back on. Thanks for any help. I am using Access 2016.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Hi. Care to post a screenshot just to be clear? Thanks.

foxxrunning

Local time
I just did a screenshot of the code window WITHOUT the file menu ribbon. There used to be 3 ribbons and now there are only two.

Attachments

• SharedScreenshot.jpg
    SharedScreenshot.jpg
    818.9 KB · Views: 118

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 12:07
It is on the other Access window. You're in the vba window

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
I just did a screenshot of the code window WITHOUT the file menu ribbon. There used to be 3 ribbons and now there are only two.
Okay, thanks. Not sure if you're willing to do this or if it will fix your problem, but maybe you could try clicking on the customize toolbar dropdown button and then click the Reset Toolbar button.

1602955857126.png

foxxrunning

Local time
I saw that and was hesitant about clicking on it. Ill try it. Can't be worse than what I have now I guess.

foxxrunning

Local time
Okay, thanks. Not sure if you're willing to do this or if it will fix your problem, but maybe you could try clicking on the customize toolbar dropdown button and then click the Reset Toolbar button.

View attachment 85867
Did the reset and it did nothing. As I do not have the actual "File" menu to reset that is not unexpected.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Did the reset and it did nothing. As I do not have the actual "File" menu to reset that is not unexpected.
Sorry to hear that. Let me see if I can figure out something else. Stand by...

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 16:07
This used to happen if using Access when Windows was in Tablet mode. If relevant to you try switching that off

The issue seems to have been fixed if using the latest version of 365 but perhaps not if you have e.g. Office 2013/2016 retail

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Just remembered another method that will work if the menu bar has been moved off the top of your screen:

In the VBE, press Ctrl+Alt+Right Arrow to rotate your screen 90 degrees clockwise. The menu bar should appear immediately.
Now press Ctrl+Alt+Up Arrow to rotate anticlockwise again. It should remain on screen

Or try using a higher screen resolution

foxxrunning

Local time
Just remembered another method that will work if the menu bar has been moved off the top of your screen:

In the VBE, press Ctrl+Alt+Right Arrow to rotate your screen 90 degrees clockwise. The menu bar should appear immediately.
Now press Ctrl+Alt+Up Arrow to rotate anticlockwise again. It should remain on screen

Or try using a higher screen resolution
Just tried Ctrl+Alt + Right and my desktop computer did not respond at all. Tried it with the VBA window in each monitor one at a time and nothing.

foxxrunning

Local time
This used to happen if using Access when Windows was in Tablet mode. If relevant to you try switching that off

The issue seems to have been fixed if using the latest version of 365 but perhaps not if you have e.g. Office 2013/2016 retail
I am not using a tablet, in fact its on off button is grayed out in the windows sidebar. I use a desktop with 2 monitors. This problem has never happened before and it is surely strange.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Ctr+Alt+Right arrow should rotate the sctreen whatever window is open. Try it in your browser or the main Access window

If still no luck, try dragging the VBE window to the other monitor ...if you can. 2 monitors can cause issues when a window has been dragged to a secondary monitor with a different resolution
So you can also try a higher screen resolution.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
2 Wow, that never crossed my mind. Why??
Hi. I thought so. In that case, I think maybe @Pat Hartman may be on to something. If you are using one screen for the main Access window and the other screen for the VBE window, then you may have undocked the File Menu, and it's floating in the other screen.

foxxrunning

Local time
Ctr+Alt+Right arrow should rotate the sctreen whatever window is open. Try it in your browser or the main Access window

If still no luck, try dragging the VBE window to the other monitor ...if you can. 2 monitors can cause issues when a window has been dragged to a secondary monitor with a different resolution
So you can also try a higher screen resolution.
I changed the resolution of my monitors to try to match their resolution. In the process I tried the Ctrl Alt Right and then when it didn't seem to work, I changed the resolution of my primary monitor back to its higher original resolution. When I did, I saw the errant menu ribbon floating alone on the monitor over the VBA. I pulled it up to its proper place and closed Access and reloaded it. Its still there and now seems happy. Not sure what did the trick, the Ctrl Alt Right or the change in resolution and then restoring the resolution. I don't really care, its back and I am a happy camper. Thank you everyone who offered help.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
I changed the resolution of my monitors to try to match their resolution. In the process I tried the Ctrl Alt Right and then when it didn't seem to work, I changed the resolution of my primary monitor back to its higher original resolution. When I did, I saw the errant menu ribbon floating alone on the monitor over the VBA. I pulled it up to its proper place and closed Access and reloaded it. Its still there and now seems happy. Not sure what did the trick, the Ctrl Alt Right or the change in resolution and then restoring the resolution. I don't really care, its back and I am a happy camper. Thank you everyone who offered help.
Hi. Glad to hear you got it sorted out. Good luck with your project.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom