Mac <=> Windows (1 Viewer)

D

dreadlockmen

I'm thinking of getting a MAC OS, but the only thing I'm not sure of is the compatibility of programs between the two systems. For example could i read MS files? In my school we are required to post in only documents with .doc extensions... so could i create a .doc file under MAC?

Banana

split with a cherry atop.
Local time
Today, 03:29
FYI-

MAC != Mac.

Mac= Macintosh

MAC= Machine Access Code

To answer your question, you realize that Mac has MS Office on it? In fact, it has some more features that aren't available in Windows and works very nicely.

Ron_dK

Cool bop aficionado
Local time
Today, 11:29
If you're talking about a MacIntosh, please note that the new Mac's are supplied with intel chips in lieu of the Mac OS. There are still AppleMac's
( Power PC G5), who can run the Mac OS, which is hardly compatible with MS Office, unless you run an emulated Office on the MAC OS.

Minkey

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 10:29
You do realise you will have to get a Mac i.e. a new machine, but did you also know that Mac's can now run Windows ? clicky so you can have both on the same machine :) .
Of course as Banana said you'll find a lot of software written for both.

Last edited:

Ron_dK

Cool bop aficionado
Local time
Today, 11:29
Minkey said:
....but did you also know that Mac's can now run Windows ?

Minkey, no I wasn't aware of Bootcamp, thanks for the tip.

I have an older Power G3 and where needed I used an emulator to read or insert Win files of any kind. Since I used the Mac mainly for music recording and production, I seldom used the "transfer" of Win files.

Banana

split with a cherry atop.
Local time
Today, 03:29
rak said:
If you're talking about a MacIntosh, please note that the new Mac's are supplied with intel chips in lieu of the Mac OS. There are still AppleMac's
( Power PC G5), who can run the Mac OS, which is hardly compatible with MS Office, unless you run an emulated Office on the MAC OS.

Erm, there *is* a native version of MS Office for the PPC OS...

Secondly, Boot Camp isn't the only option. There's also Parallel virtualization for Intel Macs, which allow you to run Windows side by side with Mac OS. It's only $50, and I heard it's great.

Minkey

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 10:29
Banana said:
Erm, there *is* a native version of MS Office for the PPC OS...

dreadlockmen - Here 's the link BTW. But of course there is always a free version, have a look at Open Office they do a Mac version.

Banana said:
Secondly, Boot Camp isn't the only option. There's also Parallel virtualization for Intel Macs, which allow you to run Windows side by side with Mac OS. It's only $50, and I heard it's great.

True - it does look good, like VMWare ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom