Solved Make a custom paper size for labels (1 Viewer)

Gune

Local time
Today, 15:43
Greetings!
I am looking for help with customixing paper size for labels.
We have to make different labels for goods(without printing on our side), costomer wants to see final label in PDF with specific paper size, but we don't have printer with needed setting.
I thought about export to rtf and change size there, but we need pictures, that don't exporting to this format.
I've been looking for a solution for days but never found it, I'm stuck.

1688381894233.png

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 07:43
Part of the problem is that paper sizes are hard-coded into some printer drivers (differs from one manufacturer to another). If your printer doesn't allow custom paper sizes to be defined, you are stuck. Paper sizes are a factor of what the printer will do and some printers just don't have the ability to support custom sizes.

IF there is a pre-defined label size such as you can find in the Avery Labels list, you might be able to select one of their sizes and get closer to what you want. Be aware that, mechanically, certain smaller sizes cannot be transported through certain printers based on their roller design. But with the multi-label pages designed by Avery some time ago, you can feed an 8 1/2 x 11 sheet but peel off multiple 1 x 2 or 1 x 3 labels.

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 13:43
not clear on the requirement. What is the business process?

It seems you design a (single) label using a report or form and want to print the report as a pdf to send to your client? In which case why does it matter if you do not have a printer with the needed settings? Is your client then going to print the pdf? Do they have a printer with the required settings? Are they going to have a stock of custom paper sizes?

pdf's generated via 'print to pdf' have a limited range of 'paper' sizes so I doubt would be a good method for sending to the client - but you could try say A5 - would be closer to the requirement.

Also suggest searching for a free or cheap pdf creator such as cutePDF. They may have custom sizes you can print to

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 07:43
I want to clarify my original post. Using peel-off Avery or other labels simulates smaller paper sizes by formatting a page to be multi-column in a way to "cheat" a little.

The point about printers not being able to print odd sizes is based on reliability of the paper-pick process, which is essentially - for most modern office style printers - a rubber-roller-and-friction system. If you absolutely have to print something at a certain size and it CAN'T be implemented using a peel-off label solution, there are such things as custom-sized printers - like badge printers or ticket printers. If they have their own device driver and it conforms to Windows standards of identifying its abilities and limits, Access would be able to use it just like it would use any other printer.

Gune

Local time
Part of the problem is that paper sizes are hard-coded into some printer drivers (differs from one manufacturer to another). If your printer doesn't allow custom paper sizes to be defined, you are stuck.
Unfortunately, I am.
But with the multi-label pages designed by Avery some time ago, you can feed an 8 1/2 x 11 sheet but peel off multiple 1 x 2 or 1 x 3 labels.
our customer wants to see one label in one pdf file. So if we have 50 different goods, we have to do 50 pdf files. multiple labels is not what they want.

It seems you design a (single) label using a report or form and want to print the report as a pdf to send to your client?
yes
In which case why does it matter if you do not have a printer with the needed settings? Is your client then going to print the pdf? Do they have a printer with the required settings? Are they going to have a stock of custom paper sizes?
They have a special label printer, but if I understand correctly, there are some issues with printing labels using our pdf-file with A4 paper size. So they want us to make labels with the right paper size before we send them.

pdf's generated via 'print to pdf' have a limited range of 'paper' sizes so I doubt would be a good method for sending to the client - but you could try say A5 - would be closer to the requirement.
Unfortunately, this isn't an option.

Also suggest searching for a free or cheap pdf creator such as cutePDF. They may have custom sizes you can print to
Yea, this one of solutions, but not the best and have lots of limits.

Thanks for your tips, I hoped there is a way to change paper size in access without using special printers or other workarounds, maybe using vba, but apparently there isn't.

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
does it have to be a pdf? could it be an image? If so, you can use code to take a screenshot, or do it manually for a one off.

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
i googled your question 'access vba create a custom size pdf from report'

and came up with this link

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
FWIW, I do not have Print Server option in that AWF link mentioned in your link?

Nor does 'printmanagement.msc' work, 'Not Found' is the error message
1688458850375.png

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
the working solution in that link needs a print server. I don't have one, perhaps the OP does. Don't know whether a cheap one would do the job, you can buy them from around £30 upwards

It's possible the first post in the referred thread provides a solution - it didn't work for that OP, but that may be because he had a print server.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
the working solution in that link needs a print server. I don't have one, perhaps the OP does. Don't know whether a cheap one would do the job, you can buy them from around £30 upwards

It's possible the first post in the referred thread provides a solution - it didn't work for that OP, but that may be because he had a print server.
PritServerManager does not exist in Win10 Home, so hopefully they will have Pro versions of Windows.

Gune

Local time
does it have to be a pdf? could it be an image? If so, you can use code to take a screenshot, or do it manually for a one off.
I'm not sure if it could be an images, but I'll think about it, thanks

i googled your question 'access vba create a custom size pdf from report'

and came up with this link

I have read both of this link, but it's also about printer settings. And our current printer has height and width limitations (for example, I can't set the width to less than 60 mm, but I need less for a label).

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
PritServerManager does not exist in Win10 Home, so hopefully they will have Pro versions of Windows.
that would be why then

Gune

Local time

perhaps this is the most appropriate way to solve the problem, I will discuss this with our IT department.
Thanks for your reply!

sonic8

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 14:43
Yea, this one of solutions, but not the best and have lots of limits.
Why isn't this "the best" solution and what limits are you concerned about?
You want to create a PDF, using a PDF printer appears to me as an appropriate solution.
I just checked in PDF24, the PDF printer I use, and it supports 25.4*25.4 mm as smallest possible custom paper size.

Gune

Local time
You want to create a PDF, using a PDF printer appears to me as an appropriate solution.
I just checked in PDF24, the PDF printer I use, and it supports 25.4*25.4 mm as smallest possible custom paper size.
I was talking about online PDF services, basically all of them have limits on the amount of free operations.
And I have only this
1688466171569.png
on my list of printers.
But if you're saying that with PDF24 I can do these sizes, that would be very cool, I need to check it
Thanks for the idea!

Last edited:

Gune

Local time
it's working, thank you so much!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom