Make a field required based on another field (1 Viewer)

shenekas

Local time
Yesterday, 18:21
Hello,

I have a source table in Access 2016. This table has a field called Status and a field called Archived Date. The Status field is a Lookup field with 2 Values: Active and Archived. I would like to make the Archived Date field a "required" field if the Archived value is selected in the Status field. If the other value is selected, the Archived Date field should not be required to be populated. I used the following code:

Code:
If Me.Status = "Archived" Then

If IsNull(Me.Archived_Date) Then

MsgBox "You must enter a date when the Status is Archived.", vbOKOnly

Cancel = True

End If

End If

But after the message appears, it won't allow me to click in the Archived Date field (or anywhere else for that matter) in order to select the date. Is there anyway to have the cursor automatically go to the Archived Date field so that the date can be selected? Does anyone have any idea how to fix this?

Thank you!

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Yesterday, 16:21
Where do you have that code?

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Okay, you're going to make me keep guessing.....Which event procedure? I recommend putting that type of validation in the Form's BeforeUpdate event

shenekas

Local time
Okay, you're going to make me keep guessing.....Which event procedure? I recommend putting that type of validation in the Form's BeforeUpdate event
My apologies. I’m not as well versed in the language as most probably are. But yes, it is in the form’s BeforeUpdate event.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
I am not sure why the form would lock up due to cancelling in the beforeupdate event, but you can also try SetFocus to the control where you want the cursor to go. Controlname.SetFocus

shenekas

Local time
I am not sure why the form would lock up due to cancelling in the beforeupdate event, but you can also try SetFocus to the control where you want the cursor to go. Controlname.SetFocus
I'm not sure either. I tried that, but then I receive this error.
1616714470374.png

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Today, 07:21
you can use the Status' AfterUpdate Event together with the Form's BeforeUpdate Event (you need to delete your BeforeUpdate event on status):
Code:
Option Compare Database
Option Explicit

Dim bolCancel As Boolean

Private Sub Form_BeforeUpdate(Cancel As Integer)
    Call Status_AfterUpdate
    Cancel = bolCancel
End Sub

Private Sub Status_AfterUpdate()
    bolCancel = False
    If Me.Status = "Archive" Then
        If IsNull(Me.Archive_Date) Then
            MsgBox "You must enter a date when the Status is Archived."
            Me.Archive_Date.SetFocus
            bolCancel = True
        End If
    End If