Solved Marquee on a form (1 Viewer)

murray83

Games Collector
Local time
Today, 00:45
tying to get a vertical scroll going a bit like this

Scrolling Marquee Text to Your Microsoft Access Forms but on searching not found anything like it, can it even be done as i have done a horizontal sort of thing, with code i found online before which i have used here below

Code:
Private Sub Form_Load()

i = 0
Me.TimerInterval = 200
ca = "The Mystery Of" 'Me.animate_Label1.Caption

End Sub

Private Sub form_timer()

If i < Len(ca) Then

i = i + 1
Me.animate_Label1.Caption = Left(ca, i)

Else

Me.imgLogo.Visible = True
    Me.TimerInterval = 0

End If

End Sub

but just wondered if i could do a vertical scroll like at the credits for a film/game or tv show

Attachments

• silver upload.zip
    4 MB · Views: 150

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 17:45
Hi. As demonstrated by the link you provided, that should be possible. Sadly, I have no time right now to take a look at your file, but I'll come back later, if no one else give it a try. Good luck!

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Marquee text always scrolls horizontally. I also have an example in my Attention Seeking example app: http://www.mendipdatasystems.co.uk/attention-seek/4594398116.

Vertically scrolling text is possible but more difficult to implement without a custom control.
However, Stephen Lebans achieved this many years ago with the attached example.
It will need modifying to work in 64-bit Access

Attachments

• Scrolling Credits Form 2K.accdb
    440 KB · Views: 184

murray83

Games Collector
Local time
hi isladogs,

yeah i have seen your database of Attention Seeking examples, but when i try and run it on my work PC ( which is where i am at the mo ) its says missing the following in the attached image

and it being a work pc not sure i can or even allowed to install a .dll

Attachments

• side.png
    side.png
    28.3 KB · Views: 116

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
That is a reference to the Microsoft Speech Object Library which should be installed by default in Windows 7/10.
On my computers its location is C:\Windows\System32\Speech_OneCore\common\sapi_onecore.dll

However that's not needed for this particular code. Use the shift bypass, untick the reference and ignore any compile errors.
Anyway, have a look at Stephen Lebans' code if you are running 32-bit.
I did intend to add vertically scrolling text to my example app but never got around to doing so....

EDIT the attached example has three types of horizontally scrolling marquee text but without the Speech library reference

Attachments

• ScrollingText_v3.accdb
    740 KB · Views: 163

murray83

Games Collector
Local time
slight update on my hunt for a vertical marquee effect in access

so bit quiet here at work today, so did another google search for vertical marquee and didn't find anything but did find this

Tech Republic Link

So i thought, as i do from time to time, vertical is just horizontal but instead of left and width its, top and height, so that's what i did and i give you this.

at the moment, for what ever reason will only show one line even if i have two lines typed in the label, but it's progress, perhaps some can tell me why i only get one line though ?

Attachments

• Marquee.accdb
    360 KB · Views: 160

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Hmm. I see two lines moving downwards but that's not what I understand by vertical scrolling credits which normally move upwards with additional lines appearing at the bottom as lines disappear at the top,
Stephen Lebans' example that I gave you in post #3 did that. Have you looked at it yet?

murray83

Games Collector
Local time
Hmm. I see two lines moving downwards but that's not what I understand by vertical scrolling credits which normally move upwards with additional lines appearing at the bottom as lines disappear at the top,
Stephen Lebans' example that I gave you in post #3 did that. Have you looked at it yet?

i saw the text but must of skimmed past the attachment, i shall now check it out

edit

i have just checked it out and yes thats more like it, thought you could some how do it by using a table and then calling the record shall have a look at and cheers,

Last edited:

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
I have tried modifying that example for my Attention Seek app but never really got it to work as I wanted. Good luck!

murray83

Games Collector
Local time
ok i have modified/copied some of the code over to my test form, just has my credits form

and it scrolls as his does but have one question, and have searched the code and cant find how it does it

okay question is why does the background of the text box change goes from white to off grey ( well does for me )

see attached ta

Attachments

• Marquee.accdb
    412 KB · Views: 159

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Sorry. I'm using 64-bit Access where it doesn't work. Unable to look at it tonight

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
@murray83
Have you considered the following approach, I remember doing something like this but it's been a few years:
Create an simple HTML file with your scrolling text
Load it on a webbrowser control on your Access form

Of course you could do more and manipulate the html file as text in order to update the text from time to time, as well.

murray83

Games Collector
Local time
@murray83
Have you considered the following approach, I remember doing something like this but it's been a few years:
Create an simple HTML file with your scrolling text
Load it on a webbrowser control on your Access form

Of course you could do more and manipulate the html file as text in order to update the text from time to time, as well.

that is a very good idea, and haing looked into it and tried it out works very well, just one question

if i was to send some one or put it for download how would they have the credits if its a .htm file, am i able to upload to a image gallery web pages ??

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
if i was to send some one or put it for download how would they have the credits if its a .htm file, am i able to upload to a image gallery web pages ??
I'm not following you with this sentence (sorry), not sure what you mean. I don't really know about HTML and webpages, not knowledgeable in that regard. I just figured I'd offer a 5-min., no-code alternative - but as far as hosting web images and such, I'm sorry I don't know where to direct you on that. You could certainly edit the html file at any time, by using vba to open it as text. Not sure about images.

murray83

Games Collector
Local time
I'm not following you with this sentence (sorry), not sure what you mean. I don't really know about HTML and webpages, not knowledgeable in that regard. I just figured I'd offer a 5-min., no-code alternative - but as far as hosting web images and such, I'm sorry I don't know where to direct you on that. You could certainly edit the html file at any time, by using vba to open it as text. Not sure about images.

ok sorry for my mad ramble

was just saying with images you can have them in an image gallery so all pictures can be stored in the DB no need for external folder of pictures ( works well in my quiz DB )

just wondered is there a simillar option for other file types

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Ahh, I think I see what you mean. Sure, just store the HTML as plain text in a table. Create the text file as name.html when needed for display on webbrowser.

murray83

Games Collector
Local time
Ahh, I think I see what you mean. Sure, just store the HTML as plain text in a table. Create the text file as name.html when needed for display on webbrowser.

how would you go about making a web page by using the data you have put into a table.

are you saying put all the tags and html and css stuff in the table ?

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Well I don't know how complex your web code would need to be. The example I made for myself was just a few lines of html for the scrolling marque. Maybe yours could be that, with the marquee text as the word "placeholder". When needed, assign the table value text to a variable and then Replace() the placeholder with your credits.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
ok sorry for my mad ramble

was just saying with images you can have them in an image gallery so all pictures can be stored in the DB no need for external folder of pictures ( works well in my quiz DB )

just wondered is there a simillar option for other file types
Hi. Pardon me for jumping in, but since you can't use the Image Gallery to store any other files but images, maybe you could consider using an Attachment field in a table to store all the other files you need, such as your HTML file. Cheers!

murray83

Games Collector
Local time
Hi. Pardon me for jumping in, but since you can't use the Image Gallery to store any other files but images, maybe you could consider using an Attachment field in a table to store all the other files you need, such as your HTML file. Cheers!

yeah currently looking at that which is all fine, the file attaches fine, but then raises more questions which on searching google haven't found a simple answer for

which is, how do i reference what is in the attachment, how do i get the form to go look at the attached file and go, oh im supposed to open you

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom